Air brick too high with a hole on the inside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - pulled away the old skirting to find big holes where the air bricks are. There are a few more holes like this around the property.

Ideally I'd repair the wall at least so that there's something behind the skirting when I put it back on but not sure what the best approach for that would be as I don't want to fill up the hole entirely because the subfloor still needs to be ventilated. Don't think I can move the air brick lower as it's a concrete driveway.

Could anyone provide some suggestions of a way to repair this?

hole.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've found similar - but in my case, I wanted a bit of extra ventilation.
I fitted some 1mm stainless steel mesh (to dissuade the vermin) to the back of the air brick, and then cut out a section of skirting to fit a 'hit and miss' vent cover.
If you don't need the extra ventilation, I would refit the skirting with some low-expansion expanding foam, applied to the rear of the skirting board.
It should be enough to fill and seal the inside surface of the hole, without blocking too much subfloor ventilation.

Others will probably have better ideas! :)

I'd put some 25mm kingspan or other brand behind skirting allowing for air to flow under floor.
Also look up fitting insulation under the wooden floor

Think skill builder on YouTube covered this subject

@hnblue

Here you go.

Starts around 23 mins in talking about under floorboards installation and air bricks.

Sponsored Links
Is this a building error? We found the same, and the engineer we had on-site from some unrelated work looked and said it seemed like a mistake during the build, and we should move them lower.

Is this a building error? We found the same, and the engineer we had on-site from some unrelated work looked and said it seemed like a mistake during the build, and we should move them lower.
Being a pretty new DIYer I can't 100% tell you if it is or not but from all the research I've done on my property I would say that the air bricks on my property have probably been raised because of the concrete driveway outside and whoever moved the air bricks was too lazy to do a proper job with a telescopic air brick and a nice cutting out job. Which probably lead to them damaging the inner brick too hence the hole.

If you have the ability to move them lower below the subfloor that's ideal but bare in mind that it can't be too close the ground outside either.

Other option is to remove wood floor and concrete it. Cost a packet though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back