Mechanical subfloor ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought an Edwardian mid-terrace house with a suspended timber floor and a modern extension. There has been no subfloor ventilation installed in the concrete slab, despite it passing building compliance. I don't want to disturb the concrete slab because of the subsidence risk, but the lack of ventilation is causing a damp issue. I've installed more air bricks at the front of the property, with little improvement. There is only scope to install air bricks at the front of the property, which is roughly rectangular in shape. Can a PIV unit be installed to ventilate the subfloor?

I've added a rudimentary drawing of the layout of the property, showing the position of air bricks at the front

Attachments

• Floor plan.png
    Floor plan.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion. It's a floorplan of the ground floor of the property. Living room at the front where the air bricks are located (in blue), extended kitchen diner at the back. I added the island in yellow. It is flanked by adjoining properties on either side (black)

It is not to scale...I'm clearly not a CAD designer :LOL:

Attachments

• Floor plan.png
    Floor plan.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 19
There is only scope to install air bricks at the front of the property, which is roughly rectangular in shape. Can a PIV unit be installed to ventilate the subfloor?

Normally, underfloor ventilation, relies on the natural higher pressure of the wind on one side of a property, versus that on the lee side, to create an air flow. A way in, and a way out. Your problem is that it is single sided, all the same pressure, and so no, or minimal air flow.

Therefore, your only solution is mechanical ventilation. I would add a duct and fan, drawing air from the front, centre, and discharging it at the rear, centre, close to the new slab. Beyond that, I have no idea..

In theory, would it work to have an air input and an air output fan on the front wall in an attempt to circulate the air in the subfloor void?

I'm not sure how builders can tell inspectors that there's ventilation in the concrete and it just gets passed. I would never have bought a property without adequate subfloor ventilation

In theory, would it work to have an air input and an air output fan on the front wall in an attempt to circulate the air in the subfloor void?

It would work, but ducting it all the way to the rear, ensures there is more air movement throughout the underfloor, for lower power consumption.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back