sub floor ventilation issues

ddd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a bit of information about this subject in the forum but it's about 5 years old, so please allow me to bring it up again.

Basically we are moving into a house that hasnt got proper sub floor ventilation (timber subfloor). The reason for this is that it's a semidetached house and an L shape extension has been built on concrete around other two walls, blocking the air vents. Thus there's only one wall left with a vent (or access to put one).

We have checked under the floor (just one beam) and it seems ok. We will check a different part of the subfloor once we move in.

Assuming all the subfloor it's in good condition, we would still like to install some ventilation, as we intend to insulate the house better (loft and possibly cavity wall), and this might increase the risk of rot in the subfloor (it will surely change the current conditions)

I have come across two solutions so far

1. Run some pipe or duct from subfloor level through the chimmeny

2. Install some mechanical ventilation system

Since none is perfect , possibly a combination of the two?

The problem with the chimney one is that it would leave a big part of the subfloor without ventilation, as the air flow would be restricted to one side of the subfloor.

I dont know much about how effective mechanical systems are. Anybody has used them? Any good provider in the somerset/bristol area?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back