air bricks below dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have air bricks to the front and rear of my property just below the level of the dpc, at the front they are in a solid wall , at the back i have one each end of a sliding double glazed exterior wood door approx 2.5 mtrs wide, the floors of the house appear solid with 1" chipboard laid in some way above, unsure of this bit cause i dont really want to rip it all up . my question is what are the vents for and what would happen if a dozy builder blocked them in with a solid floor when building a extension

Sponsored Links
ratonnastick said:
my question is what are the vents for and what would happen if a dozy builder blocked them in with a solid floor when building a extension
The air-vents are important to prevent condensation as humid air carries moisture with the difference temperature with heating and weather etc plus to keep the timbers dry.
Air_brick.jpg

A sleeper wall for air-flow through the wall.
Honeycomb_brickwork.jpg

No air-vents should be blocked or when having a solid floor extension, if so, should be extented with normally a 100mm underground pipe sloped away to outside for the air flow to the new position vent.
Extension_duct.jpg

what would happen if a dozy builder blocked them in with a solid floor when building a extension
It can result in rotting of the woodwork below the floor. The absolute worst case scenario would be an infestation of "dry rot" (which ironically actually requires damp conditions to get a foot hold). This could then send tendrils through the entire building and, even worse, into the neighbouring properties. If this was left unchecked for long enough, it could need the whole lot demolishing, for the safety of the community.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back