air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my house has two air bricks which will be under the suspended floor of my new conservatory, can i just put air bricks in the new cony wall to allow airflow or do i need to duct the house ones outside and add new ones just for the cony suspended floor ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
You need air flow under both floors and not just air vents

Really, you should put at least two more 150x215 vents into to the existing house walls near the bottom corners there the conservatory walls meet the house wall - this will prevent stagnant air staying in the corners

hi, my house does have 3 more down the side and two at the front, my post prob want to clear .
so if i let the two vent under the cony suspended floor and add two or three air bricks into the new cony wall would that do ?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the link, but my conservatory floor is suspended timber not concrete so that will need venting to, question is do i need to vent the exsting house air bricks to the new external wall, like in the link photos , then add more airbricks to vent just the new cony floor ? or can the house ones vent into the cony floor which will have two air bricks in the new external wall
thanks

Maybe, ^woody^ is proposing you fit a new air brick into the house wall each side of the conservatory and then two or three each side of your conservatory, I concur. The remedial cost of not doing adequate ventilation is multiple times greater than the relatively small cost of installing two additional air bricks now. The Forum is littered with threads from Posters with rotten joists due to poor ventilation.

if your new conservatory is blocking your existing air bricks yes, just install new ones to match the existing, as long as there is a flow of air under your floor you're fine.

Walls under suspended floors are "honeycombed" and not solid, so as to allow air to pass throughout the void unimpeded

When you add your conservatory, despite adding vents to the external wall and leaving the existing ones on the house in place, you are not venting the floor void adequately - the solid house wall is stopping air flow.

You will find that cold moist air will linger in the corners of the conservatory void, and air flow to the underfloor of the main house is reduced

So to compensate, you need to increase the air vents to the main house beneath the conservatory

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back