Air Entering System / Pressure Drops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have recently had a Worcester Greenstar Condensing Boiler installed, but have recently noticed that my upstairs radiators need bleeding once every week or so (and then the boiler topping up)

The rad starts out hot all over, then gradually gets colder starting in the top left, before the 'coldness' spreads all across the top. Bleeding solves the problem temporarily.

I also noticed that over a similar period the pressure on the boiler dropped from 1.5 bar down to 1 bar.

I assume air is getting into the system somehow - but the CORGI who installed the boiler has been back twice and just bled the rads - I can do that myself!!

I've read somewhere that it could be the system was not flushed on installation of the new boiler, or that it has not been balanced correctly? Or that I have a leak somewhere in the pipework.

Any suggestions gratefully received - I'm worried about returning home to find myself with one ceiling less than I should do and water everywhere!

Sponsored Links
I only work on oil appliances but I'm fairly sure that the hot water system is the same.
How about this? The Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) is leaking slightly. It is the part usually with a red plastic knob that may have something like 2.5 or 3 bar written on it. It vents outside the house. Put a balloon over the outlet and see if it fills with water. If it does then it is leaking. What happens then is that, over-night, when the water cools, air is drawn in through the faulty PRV. This gives you both low pressure on the gauge and air in the radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back