air getting into heating system?

If you are bleeding daily, the pressure gauge should drop. Tap it with your finger to see if it is jammed

After that see if your towel rail is free from air. :rolleyes:

Since the op is bleeding daily, your suggestion is irrelevant. Mine, however, highlights an separate issue that needs to be checked. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Since the op is bleeding daily, your suggestion is irrelevant. Mine, however, highlights an separate issue that needs to be checked. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My reply to your ridiculous answer was sarcasm, you`re that stupid that not only can you not diagnose a fault but you cannot see when someone is ripping the p*iss out of you....Work that one out Sherlock.. :D :D

My reply to your ridiculous answer was sarcasm, you`re that stupid that not only can you not diagnose a fault but you cannot see when someone is ripping the p*iss out of you....Work that one out Sherlock.. :D :D

apologies then :oops:

Sponsored Links
the sysyem is sealed and so is under positive pressure. this is not an open vented system and not subject to positive and negative pressure. As i have said air can not be pulled in via the pump or rad valve or anywhere else. in use the system pressure can be upto 2 bar, and thats the whole system so how could air be pulled in? unless the pressure in the house was 2bar or over ! if that were so your ear drums would have popped, and i take it that has not happened.

this is typical of trapped air in the sysyem. removing it can be hard work but it can be done. again try running each rad on its own, and work your way around the system repeating this. all the air will rise to the top of the system. its not rocket science after all. just a heating system. if the pressure is correct when cold, that is 1bar, then it can only be an air lock.

there is no need to get technical, no need to fit auto air vents or pumps. try the simple things first .

bgs100, take a read in "the combustion chamber" if your corgi

Thanks guys. I'll try the running one-rad-at-a-time then bleeding suggestion first. Nothing to lose!

I tried tightening the rad valve gland nuts on the radiators I changed, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I guess I try this on all the other rads too (again, nothing to lose...)

I'd be a bit worried about invalidating the nice 5-year guarantee on the boiler if I changed the pump myself.... I wonder what I would have to do to get it changed under the guarantee.

landyandy: yes, the towel rail's got the flat-sectioned horizontal 'rungs'.
The top one is cooler than the rest. It heats up after bleeding, but only for an hour or so.

Thanks again all!

when you bleed the radiator try lighting it with a match, if it lights it's hydrogen and that shows there is a reaction in your system causing it. to solve you the problem it will need cleansing and inhibiting, either that or you have a radiator that insists on having a reaction and it needs replacing.

ok my second pennys worth.
i have rented properties to live in whilst working in uk and europe.
the ladder type towel rails can be slow to clear all air.
in europe they attach flow to bottom and return to top opposite end,this cleares out air and any gases that gather in it.
in uk (sorry i am a brit and do not accept we are in europe) we pipe into both bottom connections,at least it works as an air trap.usually these towel rails are much higher than all other rads so air finds the highest point.
i do remember seeing very old towel rails in this country usually they had round corners,just 1 or 2 cross pipes and a much larger diameter.
a towel rail is to heat towels not the room well thats my opinion.rant.
some towel rails are copys of decent manufactures but they take short cuts so the internal connections/welds are poor.
maybe the towel rail can be turned off to see if air/gas is dumped into the radiators.
ok penny now spent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back