Air heat pump siting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. A family member is renovating an old cottage and has asked me to install an Ecodan air source heat pump. All the insulation is top spec and the company supplying the pump and under floor heating is happy that it will work well. They sent me on a course (i'm usually oil) and feel ok to fit it all. However the supply company is giving me conflicting advice about where to site the heat pump. One man told me i could fit it away from the house with suitable pipe insulation, the other man tells me to fit within 1m of the house or it will lose too much heat from the flow and return pipes to the house. Ideally we would site the pump 4m from the house. Can anyone with experience offer advice if it will work properly at 4m and the best pipe insulation please? Thanks, Stix

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should site the heat pump next to the house to avoid heat loss.
4m away is just daft.
Also south facing wall or a wall that will get plenty of sun. The heat pump works more efficiently the warmer it is.

4m will constitute a negligible heat loss. Especially with the correct insulation. Uponor pre insulated ecoflex for example.
Ignore dwackwell.

4m will constitute a negligible heat loss. Especially with the correct insulation. Uponor pre insulated ecoflex for example.
Ignore dwackwell.

4 meters is 4 meters and it's outside in freezing temperatures.
Ignore Norcon.

Sponsored Links
Ignore dwackwell.

Ignore Norcon.

So if a customer asks for the unit to be placed X amount of meters away from the building what do you tell him?...................
....er sorry guvnor.... no can do......... they only work when shoved up tight against your homes outside wall. Its the cold weather you see..ooh and btw it won't help the aesthetics either but hey.. I won't see it (or hear it) from my home...

:rolleyes:

Maybe it depends on the unit being installed, last ASHP job I worked on the guys putting the heat pump in said it had to be a long way from the house to ensure correct air circulation through the unit and ensure the unit didn't cause excessive condensation on the side of the house

Maybe it depends on the unit being installed, last ASHP job I worked on the guys putting the heat pump in said it had to be a long way from the house to ensure correct air circulation through the unit and ensure the unit didn't cause excessive condensation on the side of the house

Sounds like another bunch of cowboys to be honest.

Many thanks. Would it be better to run the pipes underground or surface. Just thinking u.g. would keep wind and weather off.

Underground is the way to go tunnelled in at the house end. Thats what ecoflex is designed for. And you'll need a duct for cables. The ecoflex has quite a diameter though. The rehau one is smaller afaik.
Depth will depend on traffic above and the obstacles at the house end.
Happy digging. :mrgreen:

Ignore dwackwell.

Ignore Norcon.

So if a customer asks for the unit to be placed X amount of meters away from the building what do you tell him?...................
....er sorry guvnor.... no can do......... they only work when shoved up tight against your homes outside wall. Its the cold weather you see..ooh and btw it won't help the aesthetics either but hey.. I won't see it (or hear it) from my home...

:rolleyes:

Tell him not to be so stupid.
Don't want the phone call complaining his pipework has frozen solid.
Thinking of Nov 2010. Having oil boilers freezing up in out houses never mind outside.

It should be OK with the correct equipment correctly installed.

An air source heat pump will be fairly ineffectual when the weather is so very cold.

It is quite easy to see on this site who gives good advice and who doesn't.

I am surprised at the number of people who think that 4m will give a problem.

As long as the pipes are correctly insulated then there will be no problem. However, preventing vermin eating insulation can be a problem!

What no one has said though is that working for family members should always be a NO-NO !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back