Air in boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Thanks for all the help so far.
The heating system kept pressure nicely and the boiler was giving hot water so I drained it down a bit today to add inhibitor.
Unfortunately even though there was no air but only water bleeding from rads and boiler, when I turned boiler on you could hear there was air in there. The pump expelled hardly any air, only water now. Also there’s a water drain pipe in there so I’ve taken a couple of bowls of water off in case that helps.
Still there is flame failure, no HW or CH.
Any ideas please? I’ve been around rads again and pressure is at 1 bar.
Many thanks.
PS I checked the faqs. Hopefully done everything suggested there. The red 3 bar pressure valve is loose.
It’s a potterton combi

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
More info...
On doing all of the above again and again I got it to ignite.
Unfortunately, after I eventually turned the tap off there was flame failure again.
Any ideas please?

Well I got there in the end.
For anyone who wants to know in future... I turned the water temp to minimum, kept the water tap running kept turning the boiler on and off to get the pump starting and stopping also opening the bleed on the pump every ten seconds to expel a little air.
As it worked I turned up the heat gradually and kept repeating as above.
Still sounds like there’s air in there so will probably have to do more tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back