air in central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an oil-fired open-vented system which is making a rushing noise around the pump from time to time - sounds like air being drawn in to me. It happens mainly on the hot water setting, though that also includes four small radiators and a couple of towel rails ( it's a big house!). The sound happens after the system has warmed up ( half an hour or so), and a couple of minutes after the boiler has finished firing. It's intermittent not continuous. I can't find any visible leaks, and there's no air to bleed in any of the radiators ( just a very small amount in one of the towel rails). The system was drained down to instal a new boiler at the beginning of March, but that should be sorted out by now?
Should I be worried? If so, what can I do about it?
"Pict"

Sponsored Links
The pump is right by the boiler, pushing water into it. I guess that makes it on the return?

if the pump is on the return the system is under negative pressure
IE any small leak tends to draw air in instead of pushing water out
rad valves are a favorite slight weep on the gland air in system
i would start there

Sponsored Links
Many thanks - I'll have a check around. Does "gland" mean some specific part of the rad, or do I just look at all the joints?

'Gland' refers to valve spindles and the housing into which they fit.
Within the housing is a form of seal that prevents water escaping past the spindle.The seal is compressed by the gland nut. OK!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back