Air in HW side of system please advise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a small bungalow. It is fitted with a full flow CH/HW system. There is air in the HW side but I cannot find any leaks. Boiler oil fired, outdoors, Grant 50/70 new Oct 2004. New pump fitted recently no leaks and joints and valves (pump in/out) sealed with rubberised compound for added measure. Pump in loft about 10 feet above boiler. Discharge to 3 way valve. When CH only all is fine and quiet. When HW demanded air rushing around system. Vent to header tank from junction 2 feet before pump inlet. Automatic vent on inlet to HW tank. Header tank feed connected to HW tank return. HW tank return and CH return join somewhere before boiler behind plaster board panels. Please will someone advise what I should do?

Sponsored Links
Is the auto vent on the coil open. or at all workin. Hav u tried running hot water only for a while. has the return from the cylinder got a ballancing valve on it. if so openit up while hot water only on then after 1hr reset to almost closed.How much inhibiter is in the system.

Thanks for quick reply. Vent open and working also venting from vent before pump inlet. Probably no inhibitor left in system because I have drained so much off to clear air locks that got into CH side. No balancing valve on HW tank return to boiler.

How will inhibitor help prevent air in the system?
Should I try adding a leak sealer chemical if there is such a product?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The HW side has air in it. It continually vents from auto vent on HW tank inlet and from vent on pump suction side. Also air bubbles up into header tank. I can find no leaks. The CH side runs quiet and all radiators work. Boiler is outside - a Grant 50/70 - pump in loft replaced recently because previous one of same type seized was fitted incorrectly by installer (shaft vertical). I have added a container of inhibitor but it makes no difference.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back