air in system when heating hot water - ok for rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

The heating system is a gas boiler in the kitchen and timer, tank and pump in the airing cupboard with thermostat at bottom of stairs, and expansion tank in the loft

Has a - i think its called a 3 port valve with w / m / h as the settings

When the heating is on and the radiators get hot as well as the water -then the thermostat switches off the heating the value moves to w (i assume water) then i get loads of air going round the pump - when the thermostat switches to put the heating on again and it moves the valve to h the air noise goes

So i assume i must have air in the water heating bit

How do i get rid of the air - i have been getting a bit of air in the rads and bleeding them all everyweek little in any but one so specifically bleeding the one that is upstairs and seems to get all the air everyother day this has been going on for 2 months - still no sign of the noise reducing

Anyone shed light on how to sort it!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Still got the problem - can anyone help!!!

:cry:

Cheers :D :D

This problem is a bit of a pig to sort. Well I have difficulty anyway. Does the pipe going to the top of the coil in the HW tank hae an upward path for the air to get out, and is there a way out such as a bleed point?

Water is heavier than air (cor thats news). Unless there is an expansion pipe or an auto or manual bleed valve at the highest point on the water heating circuit, then there is no way to get rid of air in that part of the system.

Sponsored Links
Hi!

Thanks for the replies!

No pipe above the top of coil or bleed point to vent it!

So looks like I will have to put up with it! ........

It is still happening but does seem to be getting better ie less noisey as less air in it.
I keep bleeding the one radiator that the air seems to collect in only a little air at a time comes out now ( only say once a week )

Seems that slowly - probably as the valve moves it lets a bit of the air out into the radiator system - which i can then bleed!

Hopefully someone can confirm ! that.........

it should not cause a major problem if it does have a bit of air in there and that I don't need to stop using!!!!!

Thanks for the replies!!!! :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back