Air inlet for Camray oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, great site. I want to convert the existing balanced flue on a Boulter camray to a conventional flue (its a nuisance where it is). A chimney already exists above it and I have flue liner, adapters etc all ready.

Is it OK to draw the air from outside by setting the flexible air duct in the wall (with suitable grill etc) ? I know it should normaly breathe from the room but I want to create a kind of sealed to the outside system because its very windy where we are and we've had problems with the coal fire blowing back. I think putting them both outside might help equalize the problem, also keep any smells outside. Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to create problems?
You have already experienced down draught problems with your fire!
Why is the flue a "nuisance"?

You cannot duct the combustion air out side as it will be in a different pressure zone to the flue terminal!!

Balanced flues are designed to have the inlet and exhaust under the same pressure .Hence "Balanced"

Your " Heath Robinson" attempts are likely to cause more problems!

Manufacturers instructions are written for a very good reason!!

I see where you're coming from Terry but its not Heath Robinson. I am following the manufacturer instructions. The boiler is designed for balanced or conventional flue, I have even bought their adaptor kit. The only issue is whether to draw air from the room or directly from outside. The manufacturer does not say you should not or can not.

You say - "You cannot duct the combustion air out side as it will be in a different pressure zone to the flue terminal!!" But a calm room downstairs is shurely a very different pressure zone from the top of a chimney stack! I'm thinking there would actually be less pressure difference if they were at least sited on the same face as the wind, although obviously a balanced flue is ideal in that respect.

Why is the flue a nuisance? Its a sitting out area.

Warmflow used to do a kit for their Bf/CF boilers. Flue up the chimney and a seperate duct to outside for air. Heatingworld boilers that go in fireplaces do something similar duct the air from under the floor. Its a pressure jet with a fan so pressure zones don't really come onto it IMHO.

Sponsored Links
Warmflow used to do a kit for their Bf/CF boilers. Flue up the chimney and a seperate duct to outside for air. Heatingworld boilers that go in fireplaces do something similar duct the air from under the floor. Its a pressure jet with a fan so pressure zones don't really come onto it IMHO.

But Boulter did not supply any such kit, so therefore it should be fitted as MI!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back