Air lock after cold tank move?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber moved the cold tank only a couple of feet but since then the hot and cold water has been locking off. Hot water cylinder is on ground floor and cold tank in the loft. We often got bubbles in the pipe in the past but never no water, which has now happened twice in one week. Solution is to hold hand over kitchen tap to force the main up the hot, and hose up the bath mixer to sort out the cold. Not ideal!

Because this never used to happen is there possibly an air lock I could clear by draining and refilling the system? I can't believe the movement of the cold tank is enough to cause it, or its a bit of coincidence to suddenly start happening :?:

Cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links
the pipes out of the cws do they run horizontal along the loft before dropping through ceiling ?

If he's run them back to where they were originally then probably yes, maybe a meter? Anything I can do - he suggested a link tank, suggesting it was because the tank was emptying, which I haven't confirmed yet

Cheers!

poss the tank is emptying but you got to be using some water.
running a bath etc shouldn't empty the tank.
what gallons is the tank ?
and as you say your hot/cold are tank fed.

as for a metre is nothing. even if they where 10 metres they would airlock if tank drained but once refilled and air removed they shouldn't get air in again unless drained.

maybe run a bath and use hot/cold and see how the tank emptys and if the ball valve is filling fast enough.

any isolation valves on the ball valve that he hasn't fully opened ?

Sponsored Links
I checked the flow on the ball valve and it looked ok - though he took off my fluidmaster :mad:

It seems to happen when the missus is left to her own devises running the kids bath. The tank would empty in the past but it would always clear. Is there maybe an incline in the new length of pipe? So has he basically fooked it?

:(

Lever-style isolation valves fully open.

Found this old thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9660

he hasn't fooked it the tank should be sized for your needs.

if its emptying then its not big enough.

Ok, I'll check its because the tank is emptying and then not able to clear airlocks it used to be able to. Thanks for your help ;)

He suggested an additional tank could be linked to the old one: how would this work with a single feed and overflow and preventing one tank stagnating - just one level joining pipe near the base and/or outlets on one, ball valve on the other? TBH I'd rather fit a new coffin tank as he re-used the old one and its not "bylaw 30"

G'nite!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back