Air lock (I think)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton nanoheat 10-15, open vented
I had to drain the system down to repack a the connector on a radiator and then repair the subsequently leaking compression joint on the valve.
I refilled by simply turning the water back on to the expansion tank and bleeding the radiators.
The boiler will only fire up for a few minutes and then gurgles and stops.
I have re drained and tried again. I have vented from circulation system (the bleed pipe with the knurled release)
The pump is vibrating so I assume working. It is hot. There is hot water in the pipe from the boiler leading to the system.
Sticking my hand in the expansion tank just to make sure it had water in it the water was warm so I guess water from the boiler ended up in there.
Where else can I vent from - the pump - how; the boiler again how.
Grateful for any help. I would like a shower tomorrow and cant face the prospect of call charges for something I know is probably simple. It was working fine before my meddeling. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ah famous last words "It was working fine before my meddeling." and all these people telling me my job is childs play.

Saying childs play it is interesting the number of DIY forums that seem to be springing up all over the place with people asking how to fix so many simple problems after they have messed it up or proclaim non of it is rocket science yet go on to ask for detailed instructions for the simplest of tasks.

Alan

Help

Any CH engineer or plumber bored today or Monday close to Buckhurst Hill Essex want an emergency job?

Sponsored Links
fulcrum said:
Help

Any CH engineer or plumber bored today or Monday close to Buckhurst Hill Essex want an emergency job?

its only an "emergency" to you no one else, it actually should be called an inconvieniance, (obviously it isnt an emergency seing as you said bored today or Monday seeing as it is NOT "an emergency" wait till tuesday, then call some one, obviously over the bank holiday it will cost more

Fulcrum no problem Sunday or Bank Holiday I offer a 24 hour service. You decide what is an emergency.

The down side would be the cost. A route plan check give you a distance from me of around an hour and a half so added to a couple of hours on site you would be looking at £500 plus materials and VAT. Price more than doubles for Sunday/Bank Holiday working for obvious reasons.

As you see I am not cheap but then the cost of CORGI, OFTEC registration, unvented hot water courses co not come cheap either. I can however a central heating system has never beaten me yet and very few boiler problems, gas or oil, have either.

Alan

Hey I didnt mean to upset anyone.

Alan - thanks for your offer agree its not an emergency especially at your no doubt reasonable prices. I will wait until Tuesday but I have to work too. I expect it will be the week later before anyone comes round. Would have been happy to pay.

Just convinced its something I can fix if only I knew how.

Alan
I can guess where you are going with this.
Lets say I am a civil servant. I am on call all this weekend too. If I get called out I don't get paid any more. My choice of job. I do it because I believe in it. I think I actually make a difference and improve peoples lives.As a professional plumbing and heating engineer I respect your skills and your right to charge the labour market rate to use those skills. I also expect to pay more for those skills outside of normal working hours - you have a family life too. Supply and demand and all that. I would even be happy to pay it if I thought I was getting value for money and not getting ripped off.
All I ask is for someone to turn up when they say they will (ideally at a time to suit my working patten but I admit I am being unreasonable) tell me how much it will cost for a good, fair, honest and safe job, fix it and send me a proper invoice.
My purpose for posting my orginal message was some simple advice.Reading the previous messages it looked to me as if my problem was fixable by me. If I have irked you I apolgise. It was not intentional.

Fulcrum firsly let me make it as clear as possible you have neither upset me nor irked me.

The only reason I asked your line of employment was to simply ask if you would consider me capable of making a good job of it without any training whatsoever. Nothing more sinister than that.

You said lets say you were a civil servant so it probably means you are not. 'My choice of job. I do it because I believe in it. I think I actually make a difference and improve peoples lives'

I likewise do the job I do because I see it as a challenge and it also helps others. I am happy to turn out, and during the winter have done, and repaired boilers or replaced pumps at 11 o clock at night. The way I regulate the number of people wanting this service at those hours is to charge more than double my standard charges.

Alan

Alan

I am actually a civil servant employed by HMG. Cant disagree with anything yous said but not sure how we got there.

I just this persumed air lock gone and a hot shower.

fulcrum seems to have emigrated to plumbingpages.

Alan

Alan

Just spreading my net mate. Getting desparate. Pity you dont live nearer I could at least save some of your travelling time costs and have working system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back