Air lock in water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow, and if someone is running hot water from the bath tap and I run the hot water in the kitchen at the same time, this causes an air lock. From this point forward, the hot water from the tap in the kitchen just trickles out. I have tried to run the kitchen tap whilst turning the bath tap on / off, this makes the kitchen tap splutter but doesn't restore full flow. Last time, it took about a month and eventually sorted itself out.

First, any ideas how I can clear the air lock? There is a mixer tap in the kitchen so it would be hard to fit something to it to blow the air out. Second, how do I stop this happening again (apart from the obvious which is don't run both taps at the same time!)

Thanks.

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Check all is well with the cold water feed to the bottom of the hot water cylinder (assuming you have a hot water cylinder).

if there are any restrictions, like a partly closed valve, or debris in the cold water storage cistern blocking the outlet, then the outflow can overtake the inlet, and draw air down the cylinder vent causing an airlock.

If you have hard water, after a few years limescale can accumulate in the bottom of the hot cylinder and eventually block the cold inlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back