Airlock just on kitchen hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen mixer tap keeps getting an airlock, just on the hot water supply. I have a cold water tank in the loft with a hot water cylinder in the air cupboard upstairs.

Every so often the hot tap just in the kitchen stops running. No spluttering, nothing. I disconnected the tap and no water was flowing. I ended up sucking on the pipe to get the water to flow, but after a few days it drys up again. When it happens all other hot taps in the house work - bath and sink upstairs and the hot tap in the downstairs toilet are all fine - so it seems to just be on this particular bit of pipe work.

The feed for this pipe runs out of the top of the cylinder then back up into the loft across the loft floor, then down into the bathroom where it tees to feed the bath and bathroom sink and then continues to the kitchen.

Has anyone any ideas how I can isolate this and find where he issue is? I was thinking it could be sucking in air from the expansion pipe, but then surely the bathroom would have an air lock too since it's on the same pipe run.

It's only started happening in the last two weeks too.

Sponsored Links
Is it pumped or gravity fed? If this is new my thought is you've got some air trapped and need to run it out. A good couple of buckets full should pull it through.

The other way is to run a hose from the cold mains in to the hot via the feed pipe for the kitchen tap and gently use mains cold to flush the air back up and out.

Does it happen after someone has had a bath perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back