Airlock in hot water taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with 1 upstairs bathroom and a detatched garage.

The bathroom has a mixer tap on the sink and also a mixer tap on the bath.

The bathroom sink tap also has a non return valve fitted to it.

The garage has seperate hot and cold water taps fitted.

My problem is that I continually get airlocks in the hot water, especially in the bathroom..

The only way to cure it is to run the hot water tap in the garage for about 1 minute and it splutters out the air and makes this tap and more importantly the 2 mixer taps in the bathroom run fine - for a while.

So, assuming the garage tap is the problem, any ideas how I fix it ?

I have a new system boiler fitted and it done this with the older system bolier also.

Sponsored Links
Air can only get sucked in at the vent.

This can be caused drawing too much water off at once ie more than one tap open and more to the point an inadequate feed from the storage tank to the cylinder and through the cylinder to where the vent tees in.
It may be undersized or partially blocked. the most common and easy to sort cause of this partial blockage is the gatevalve isnt open fully and the 2nd common is a blockage at the main tank outlet where it joins into this pipe.
In one case I came across back in 1982 someone had fitted an iron fitting in this pipe which rusted internally and caused a blockage

Air can only get sucked in at the vent.

This can be caused drawing too much water off at once ie more than one tap open and more to the point an inadequate feed from the storage tank to the cylinder and through the cylinder to where the vent tees in.
It may be undersized or partially blocked. the most common and easy to sort cause of this partial blockage is the gatevalve isnt open fully and the 2nd common is a blockage at the main tank outlet where it joins into this pipe.
In one case I came across back in 1982 someone had fitted an iron fitting in this pipe which rusted internally and caused a blockage

Where exactly do you mean when you mention "the vent" ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back