Hot water Airlock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an airlock in my hot water. I have a mixer tap in the kitchen and 2 hot taps (single) in the upstairs bathroom (bath and basin)

What is the best way to remove the airlock?

There is currently no water from any hot tap so i believe the problem is the the cold pipe to the cylinder or the hot pipe from the cylinder to the tap(s) before they branch off

I have tried turning on the hot at the mixer and then the cold, with my hand and cloth under the spout but water goes everywhere and it doesn't work. Am I doing it wrong...??

I have a hosepipe but is there a good way I can remove the airlock with it? What fittings would i need to attach the hose to the mixer (mains) cold tap??

Would a plunger be any use on the tap spout ??? or inside the tank on the oulet?

Any advice would be great, thanks all for reading my post. (sorry for the length)!

Sponsored Links
If you have a hot and cold fill supply for your washing machine, connect the cold to the hot with a fill pipe, and push the air bubble out that way.
Or - connect a length of garden hose to a reliable tap, and put the end over the mixer tap...force cold water through that way?
John :)

My washing machine is cold filled only

I have a hose, what connectors are required to connect to a mixer tap/spout?? I don't want it pulling off when I'm upstairs!!

You're dead right mate and a helper is a good move.....anyway, you need a cold supply with a reliable connector somehow, and maybe one of those push on connectors that slide over the tap and are secured - hopefully- with a thumb screw. Either way, you need to force cold water - gently - up through the lowest hot tap, in your case. The header tank in the loft will certainly fill, but it should have a perfectly good overflow anyway.
If you have one of those push on connectors, try fitting it to the mixer tap, thumb firmly over the end, and getting a helper to turn the hot on first, followed by the (gentle) cold.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back