Stubborn air lock in bathroom basin hot tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just back from a property with a kitchen mixer tap and a bathroom basin with 2 taps. There was a trickle from both hot taps but the cold taps are fine. Palmed the kitchen mixer tap forcing mains pressure cold back up the hot pipe the usual way and this cleared it instantly. However the bathroom hot single tap was still the same.
Tried running a hose from outside to the loft (bungalow) pressed into the hot water tank's cold feed, forcing mains cold with tap open, again no luck!
Ideally I would like to force mains cold up the basin tap too but I have nothing - like a rubber shoe - to clamp over the nozzle.
I have never had such a problem with air locks before.
Is there a tool out there that will be fit for purpose?
Anyone else had the same thing or a good idea.
cheers everyone
Ben

Sponsored Links
If there are service valves fitted can you not just disconnect taps at the valves and attach a flexi from cold to hot.A bit of hassle but just a thought.

yes I was hoping to do that but as usual, no isolation valves!!
I don't want to have to drain down unless unavoidable.
thanks anyway.

Could do with one of those old fashioned top-loading washing machine fillers my mum used to push over the taps when I was a kid. anyone know where to get one??

have you tried flushing the downstairs tap with the upstairs hot open as well? as kitchen is ok, may force it through enough to draw out the airlock.

Sponsored Links
This is my problem mate, it is a bungalow and to add insult to injury, the hot water tank is in the attic about 12 inches below the cold water tank!!!!

try getting one of the bath mixer showerhead attachments- looks like a big stethoscope- and attach it to both basin taps. tie off the shower head...last saw them in the cheapo shops. may give you the backflow you need.

Top man! had forgotten all about them. Found one on ebay 3 pounds, a couple of wing angled jubilee clips and I've got a very useful tool.
thanks for the brainstorming.
;)

Use a wet vac and suck the air out, or palm the cold mixer in the kitchen for 30 seconds and then get someone else to open hot tap on bath while you are still palming.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back