Air lock ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a single radiator with no trv replaced for a new double convector rad with trv by a heating engineer problem is it wont run with the trv.I know the trv is fine but if I leave the head on it just goes cold.
I have to remove head shut off valve with the decorating cap and then draw water off from the other lockshield to get it to go hot again .this will stay hot all the time untill the trv is fitted.

Sponsored Links
Ok what type of trv is it, cos in the past i used some valves that where damaged even straight from the manufacturer, check the push pin on the underside of the trv head and make sure when you turn the dial to the on and off position that the pin inside moves/ or becomes free aswell, if the pin is hard to move and force is required, then you have a bad trv head, ring back up the supplier or heating engineer and ask for a replacement, failing this sounds like the whole valve could be damaged, but althouhg you did say it works without the head attached!1

hope this helps

Hi its a woleseley trv I thought of this so I tried it on another rad which worked fine and the pin seems fine also.

Sponsored Links
If the radiator works without the TRV head, but not with it fitted, then the head is probably faulty.

Its a basic plumbing merchants own-brand valve. Get him to put something half decent like a Danfoss Ras-C on for you. Only a couple more quid.

Definitely the TRV. Should replace it if it's new, no point in trying to fix or further diagnose. The only air that is the problem is coming from him. :)

I thought of this so I put the trv on another rad and it worked fine.If I take the head off the rad it still stays cold until I bleed off some water from the lockshield.Could it be the return pipe is furred up causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back