New radiator doesn't get hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved a radiator on a single pipe system and it won't get hot. I've shut off the other rads but still no joy. The lockshield valve is fully open and the trv is open too. Everything is new. The flow pipe gets very hot until it reaches the radiator but heat goes no further. This suggests the trv isn't open but it is and it's brand spankin new. The flow and return pipes for the radiator are attached quite closely to each other along the main heating pipe. Can this cause problems? ANy ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you got a bi-directional TRV. If not you might have the valve on the wrong side. This would stop the flow of water.

Also take the head off the trv and double check that the pin is all the way out.[/quote]

With a one pipe system, the water is pumped around the one pipe loop but has to rise by gravity into the radiator on the principle of hot water rises cold water sinks, so the pipes to and from the new radiator must either be vertical with the radiator sited directly above the one pipe or if the run is horizontal, they must be inclined upwards and as short as possible.

Sponsored Links
i'm pretty certain the pin on the trv is sticking out and it's pointing the right way. I'll get a hammer on it later to loosen it up a bit.

The plumming is a short as possible but not as simple as it was before. I'll have to pull it all apart and start again i guess. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back