Air separator - is ti really needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The disaster happened this weekend, twisted the air separator while fitting a new pump. :oops:

It's not leaking and I have not fired up the system, not sure if I should leave it as is or replace it.

The top pipe is the feed from the FE tank - there is no vent to the FE tank, so why is the air separator needed? Could it not just be cut out and a 22mm T joint be fitted? If so would an air separator need to be fitted on the flow pipe from the boiler (eg a Spirotech deaerator)?

Sponsored Links
Those things are usually pretty solid and the chances are that if you don't disturb it again it will not leak!

The idea is they slow down the flow and let the air bubbles get to the top and out!

I am a bit more worried that you don't have a vent pipe terminating above the F&E tank!

Is it 22 mm all the way into the tank???

Tony

Those things are usually pretty solid and the chances are that if you don't disturb it again it will not leak!

The idea is they slow down the flow and let the air bubbles get to the top and out!

I am a bit more worried that you don't have a vent pipe terminating above the F&E tank!

Tony

Yes, 22mm all the way. Poorly designed system? As is from a new house build 15 years ago.

Sponsored Links

Tony

Could be a combined Feed & Vent pipe Tony?

I interpreted the OP saying that there is no vent as meaning there is no vent at all.

Of course it will still work but will cause problems in the event of a runaway boiler. Luckily very rare!

I like combined feed and vents and they would be my preferred format as they cannot pump over and give rise to less problems.

Tony

If its 22 m or larger then I can envisage it can vent steam as well as letting water run down at the same time.

Not something we often see though!

One pipe cannot feed and vent at the same time.

Combined feed & vent was very common at one time. In fact it was advocated by Myson on their Apollo range of boilers, which for the young pups reading were low water content boilers & required a good flow rate through them.

This type of system was always a complete cnt to fill & get air out.

One pipe cannot feed and vent at the same time.

Combined feed & vent was very common at one time. In fact it was advocated by Myson on their Apollo range of boilers, which for the young pups reading were low water content boilers & required a good flow rate through them.

This type of system was always a complete cnt to fill & get air out.

Bad design ans application doesn't surprise me in this building. I've come across other crap shortcuts and bad work (put right by me).

I don't think getting a vent put in will be a problem. I'll ask my local plumber - may be more than I can bite and chew...

If its 22 m or larger then I can envisage it can vent steam as well as letting water run down at the same time.

Not something we often see though!

My local plumber concurs with above statement, must be true if at least two plumbers agree!

If it aint leaking leave it alone and a combined feed+vent is quite common in some areas.

It depends on the boiler fitted, some allow this type of set up.

This is the diagram for a promax FSB fitted on a system with a low head.
i51-3729-017.gif

Love it 2 pro`s commenting and they dont know about combined feed /vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back