Air Source Heat Pump for 2 bed bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in 2 bedroom bungalow and I am looking at the possibility of having an Air Source Heat Pump installed. It currently has one layer of insulation in the loft so will need topping up. It also has cavity wall insulation, although I'm not sure on the quality of it as it seems to track water across to the inner leaf. Is 270mm loft insulation and cavity wall insulation good enough? There is no floor insulation as it was built in 1969, and i don't want to dig the floor up.

I'm currently looking at either Dimplex, Panasonic or Samsung for the ASHP.

Im also looking at using Dimplex Smart Radiators, Smiths Ecovectors or Aluminium Radiators as i have heard that they work better than standard radiators. Im aware that underfloor heating is the best option but again i don't want to dig the floor up. I currently have only about 30mm screed on top of the concrete slab so by the time i have put down insulation and then screed it will be too high, which would mean moving all the doorways up.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has been in a similar situation of if anyone else has an opinion.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You will still need another heat source. In periods of very cold weather the air source isn't going to be enough.

If you have mains gas stick with gas boiler.

If you are off mains an lpg boiler/lpg gas fire as a booster.

Air conditioning is an option and in my opinion works better and exactly the same as an air source heat pump. Heat air to lower temperatures like 25-30 degrees is much easier. It also cools in the summer.
So perhaps buy yourself a couple of air con units for larger rooms like main bedroom and lounge.

no mains gas, just have a few plug convector heaters atm.

LPG no place for the tank and bottles just don't work out, half looking at oil but also considering storage heaters.

ASHP are just way too expensive atm, its just not worth it after working out the costs and payback, especially for something that doesn't seem to get a great write up.

This MCS stuff is a load of crap anyway.

Will looking at selling the house in 4/5 years anyway so just trying to work out what will put people off more oil or storage heaters.

Sponsored Links
no mains gas, just have a few plug convector heaters atm.

LPG no place for the tank and bottles just don't work out, half looking at oil but also considering storage heaters.

ASHP are just way too expensive atm, its just not worth it after working out the costs and payback, especially for something that doesn't seem to get a great write up.

This MCS stuff is a load of crap anyway.

Will looking at selling the house in 4/5 years anyway so just trying to work out what will put people off more oil or storage heaters.

Can't quite see how lpg bottles won't work out if you are considering oil which will need a tank that is much larger than 2 47kg propane bottles
and the installation cost is much larger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back