air source, solid fuel, solar combination?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
looking at doing something with our heating/hot water set up, got a combi at the moment, starting to look at alternatives, we have a large south facing garage roof, would like to fit a solar panel on an indirect cylinder, (possibly unvented), we also have a log burner which I'm going to replace for one with a back boiler, can this set up be linked up with an air source heat pump?
I know that if you hook up a solid fuel stove to an unvented cylinder you need to be able to loose excess heat once the tank reaches temperature, can a radiator be used to do this or is there any other device that will fit the bill, I know it will depend on the capacities of the various circuits etc

Sponsored Links
I know that if you hook up a solid fuel stove to an unvented cylinder you need to be able to loose excess heat once the tank reaches temperature, can a radiator be used to do this or is there any other device that will fit the bill

You can't use an unvented cylinder with solid fuel CH. If you want mains HW you'll need a thermal store type, which could also have extra coil for other heat sources.

Look into heat banks/thermal stores.

Unvented cylinders and solid fuel are a no no.

Sam

Heating Innovations H2 panel have a layout for solid fuel connection to an UV cylinder.
Another similar arrangement is documented in the archives of Diynot describing how to utilise an unvented cylinder with solid fuel.
I'd use an unvented cylinder before a sludge bucket.

Sponsored Links
Heating Innovations H2 panel have a layout for solid fuel connection to an UV cylinder.
Another similar arrangement is documented in the archives of Diynot describing how to utilise an unvented cylinder with solid fuel.
I'd use an unvented cylinder before a sludge bucket.

There are ways of connecting SF to UV, they do abroad. The problem is getting it through G3. Last I read said no uncontrolled heat source.

look at a dunsley, one way to acheive G3,there are other things available but you need to be a little switched on and have a good understanding of the vagueness of the rules.

DPS for thermal stores.

dont bother with the ASHP,waste of money,but if you must Daikin Altherma is about the best currenly.dont bother with ecodan or fighter,not much cop.

look at a dunsley, one way to acheive G3,there are other things available but you need to be a little switched on and have a good understanding of the vagueness of the rules

The only vagueness is about additional safety controls. UV manufacturers then offer no guide. So little use if eg. your H2 plan fails dangerously.

I don't like sludge buckets either but for SF its safer and cheaper to go with vented HW.

You'll also be well aware that you can only advise according to G3 regardless of what Heating Innovations says

Absolute nonsense.

You'll also be well aware that you can only advise according to G3 regardless of what Heating Innovations says

Absolute nonsense.

Be it on your shoulders if all goes wrong then?

In fact *******s to it, Hep20 looks like fine to use on gas to me. :LOL:

If G3, and HETAS say its not allowed then you'll stuggle to get it signed off through building control as required.

Absolute nonsense.

Sorry seems I got that wrong. In that case when advising on the installation of an unvented cylinder on no account should you consider the requirements of G3. This includes any issues relating to directly connecting it to an uncontrolled heat source such as a solid fuel stove.

Why are Dunsley and HI manufacturing products that can connect solid fuel to unvented cylinders?
If it goes wrong it wasn't installed to MI's. Simple.

Just by the same token it can go wrong using the sludge bucket if it was installed wrong and not to MI's.

Why are Dunsley and HI manufacturing products that can connect solid fuel to unvented cylinders?
If it goes wrong it wasn't installed to MI's. Simple.

Just by the same token it can go wrong using the sludge bucket if it was installed wrong and not to MI's.

They make these products because no doubt they work. Their purpose though is to link SF to gas, oil or electric boiler systems, not to link stoves directly to UV's. They incorporate safety devices such as stats and pump overruns to dissipate overheat well before the 100C requirement. However it still leaves an appliance connected to this system whos heat source (the bit that burns) is not instantly controllable and therin lies the conflict with G3 and many UV manufacturers.

PS. You could apply this to solar as the heat producing part of a fully flooded system is also not controllable, though they seemed to have bent their own rules.

If you have money to burn throw it on your fire rather than use ashp or solar. They will never pay for themselves.

Don't pay too much attention to what norcon says.
Because he can kindle a fire with 1 sheet of newspaper doesn't mean his advise on connecting solid fuel to unvented can be followed. He is not qualified to advise. You would get as much quality advice on this matter from the barman in your local :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back