Air vent in lounge - can i fill it in

under NO circumstances can this vent be blocked UNTIL a gas engineer has confirmed it is safe to do so, what is written above is an assumption, based on adventitious ventilation entering the room, and there is no way of checking this over a computer

Why do you think this regulation is in place then kirk,you think someone just picked a number out of thin air?
It`s not an assumption,there`s always enough air entering a room to allow a 7kw or below flued space heater to be fitted and used(as long as it`s fitted and/or checked by a suitably qualified individual).
This figure was arrived at after the boffins at British Standards(I think) sealed a room as completely as possible and found this was the amount of adventitious air that still entered.
Other factors have to of coarse be taken into account,type of flue,flue pull etc and any sensible person as the OP seems to be would ask advice.

I should possibly have put more emphasis on getting an engineer in,but my answer was in essence correct and if this is the worst answer you`ve ever seen on here you obviously don`t come on very often.

Sponsored Links
In my lounge there is an airvent about 6-8 inches in circumfrence. It has a plastic guard on external and internal walls. The house when built had an open fire but this is now a 3 year old gas fire.

What purpose does it serve?
Can i just fill this in?
If i fill it what is the best way?

Thanks,
Mike.

The airvent was built into the property when it was built, why take exception to it? When the gas fire was installed, the airvent was a consideration on it's install..so removing it means you like to dice with death, for no reason. Why remove a feature, that is designed into a property to protect your life? What is the reason to remove this life saving feature?

Further to my previous comments now the cold is here it lets the bloody cold in. The diameter is about 8-10 inches and it has a simple plastic vent on each side. Its just above the skirt and you can feel a draft blowing around the room from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back