Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Well I have just moved into my first house and now getting set to decorate, and looking forward to it all. I have a quick question about a vent that is in the main lounge and also one in the main bedroom.
Are these needed? Can I block it off? The noise from the traffic outside and even people walking past is annoying; I've only been in 2 days. Also a lot of cold air seems to come in through it as well. The house was built in the 1950s

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Mike

Sponsored Links
if there is a gas heater/fire in the room then no, but you may be able to move them,maybe behind a radiator???

if there is a gas heater/fire in the room then no, but you may be able to move them,maybe behind a radiator???

There is a gas fire in the room. but there is also another vent that goes in to the hallway. would it be possible to get a vent that i can close and open?

From doing some research, i have found out that it may need to stay in place. Is there any vents that i can replace it with, that look nice and also smaller and filter out certain types of air.

Sponsored Links
please take care when dealing with /altering/removing, (in fact doing ANYTHING )with a vent supplying combustion air for a gas appliance, if open flued and you get it wrong you could die!!
however, if the vent IS required and only a gas safe engineer will confirm this, it is possible to buy vents with an internal baffle to minimise noise but not amount of air.
get a gas safe engineer in to check and confirm, (the cold air as you call it may be saving your life)

please take care when dealing with /altering/removing, (in fact doing ANYTHING )with a vent supplying combustion air for a gas appliance, if open flued and you get it wrong you could die!!
however, if the vent IS required and only a gas safe engineer will confirm this, it is possible to buy vents with an internal baffle to minimise noise but not amount of air.
get a gas safe engineer in to check and confirm, (the cold air as you call it may be saving your life)

Fair comment, ok cheers for the advice. Time to call in a Gas Engineer to check it all out, and maybe even replace the fire if that's the reason why it is installed.

Quite appart from the gas appliances you doom yourself to a damp home if ventilation is removed. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back