Air vent soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to have an internal wooden "sound baffle" over the passive air vent on the wall in the spare room which was great at keeping the sounds of the nearby road at bay. Unfortunately it was warped so I removed it when I decorated and replaced it with a simple air vent cover.

Now I'm using the spare room as an office I could really do with reducing the noise - it's not really obtrusive, more like an annoying loud hum.

I can't put a cowl on the outside of the building (no access because of a conservatory underneath) so would like to just replace the internal one. Unfortunately I can only find external ones like the one in the picture. This looks almost identical to the old one except it was up the other way. Do you think I could use the external one on the inside?

Cowl.PNG

Sponsored Links
Yes if you don’t care about appearance, you could also pack vent with green kitchen scourer material which helps baffle noise and still allows air thru . Have used it previously to make silencer for paintball gun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back