Cold air from vent can i block it up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an air vent inside my childs bedroom that means the room can get pretty cold.

https://assets.pinterest.com/ext/embed.html?id=928093435685730364 Inside house vent
https://assets.pinterest.com/ext/embed.html?id=928093435685730409 outside view of vent.
I was hoping to buy a better hit and miss air vent cover which would replace the old one which is 260mm x 165mm so i can close it at night to keep her room warmer. All I can find though seem to be cheap metal ones that don't look like they would insulate much at all.
Would it be a bad idea to block this vent up completly? If so can anyone recommend a decent hit and miss air vent that would actually provide some for of insulation when its closed?

Sponsored Links
The way condensation may behave can be difficult to predict, to say the least, cover it up with some thick cardboard or a piece of plastic made from an old ice cream tub and tape it over the hole. See how the room/condensation fairs over the winter before you decide to block it up permanently.

Air will only blow in through the vent to the extent that it can blow out of the room.

Is the bedroom door left open? Are there holes in the ceiling?

The metal hit and miss vent will stop the air blowing in, which is all you need, though you can also get plastic ones.

Sponsored Links
The room has two exterior walls , and may have Insufficient loft insulation and/or undersized radiator.Much more likely to be reason for cool room .

I would be asking why the vent is there. Are there any others? Did the house once have coal fires?

If the coal fires have been replaced by CH, then the vents are no longer necessary and can be blocked up permanently. My house had many such vents and two/three coal fires, long since gone, and all such vents blocked up.

I used to have a Universal Plan house. The small bedroom over the front door had a small window, no fireplace, and an airbrick near the ceiling. It was a common practice.

The House was built in 1930 so used to have coal fireplaces but not one in that room though.
The rad is a decent size for the room and there is loft insulation so all the other rooms upstairs stay pretty warm. covered the vent with cardboard for now and will see if that helps.

The House was built in 1930 so used to have coal fireplaces but not one in that room though.

Upstairs, small bedroom and bathroom had a similar vent, none in other rooms, but no fireplace ever in either room. The large front bedroom had a fireplace, so my assumption was that the idea was one of those two vents, providing air for the fire. Once fireplace removed in the 80's, those vents were bricked up.

The rad is a decent size for the room and there is loft insulation so all the other rooms upstairs stay pretty warm. covered the vent with cardboard for now and will see if that helps.
Did you use a rad calculator to assess correct size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back