How to replace a fitted air vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can advise...

I want to replace two air vents in my flat. The air vents appear to be built into the wall, and are approx 10" by 7" in size. The property is a 1930's build, and the previous owner had sprayed some kind of foam filler inside the air vent, which has left it pretty much redundant!. As a result, the room suffers from damp due to the condensation build-up, especially in winter. Hence why I want to replace these vents.

It's possible to remove the foam filler, but I have to prise the air vent cover off first....

So. how do I remove these air vents?

Any constructive suggestions welcome!
Cheers, Ian

Sponsored Links
A photo would be very useful. You could be talking about airbricks for all we know, and getting them out would make a right mess of the wall.

You could spray the foam with a solvent and desolve it.Car carbureter cleaner might be suitable, you would need to vent the room afterwards.

Thanks for the responses so far. Indeed, some images would probably help describe these airvents, so I hope the following link works:

//www.diynot.com/network/iano09/albums/3860

I'm confident the foam can be removed easily; however the vent might be bit trickier...

What suggestions do people have?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Looks like they're clay and plastered into the wall. I don't think you'll be able to get them off without some damage to the decoration.
One possibility might be to carefully break out the grille-work in the middle, remove the foam, and re-cover the hole with a new plastic grille.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back