Air vents & gas fire with open chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A living room has a open flame gas fire with open chimney, there is an air brick in the same room with a missing cover.

As the fire has chimney, is it okay to buy a vent cover which comes with a fly screen? - Many say not suitable for gas fires but does that still apply if there is an open chimney?

Sponsored Links
If the fire is only suitable for a class 1 flue Then 100cm 2 req with no screens.
Unless manufacturer states differently.

Sponsored Links
Never trust manuals that you find on the internet, no matter how close to the appliance it looks like, unless you can confirm either the GC numbers are the same if available, or the gas rate. The gas rate, which will be on the data plate, that will state the rated input in Kw, that's the figure needed to gauge whether it might need a vent or not. If no data plate then I would recommend it isn't used.

As per the gas regs though, the type of fire regardless of gas rate, determines whether ventilation is required, the size of the vent. If required it should be free flowing without the ability to be closed.

It may of a type or be under the rating where a vent is required but NEVER assume when it comes to open flue'd appliances, they can kill.

I would recommend you get a GSR in that's familiar with OF fires.

Thanks. I can’t find the exact manual with GC number match however can find a very similar GC number manual which has the same max input kw rate as on the rating plate & the fire looks the same.

All the manuals I’ve found say the same thing that a dedicated vent is not required so based on what I can see from rating plate and various manuals, still sounds like a fly screen would be okay!?

I guess the only sure way would be to contact the manufacturer and confirm...

Last edited:
Thanks. I can’t find the exact manual with GC number match however can find a very similar GC number manual which has the same max input kw rate as on the rating plate & the fire looks the same.

All the manuals I’ve found say the same thing that a dedicated vent is not required so based on what I can see from rating plate and various manuals, still sounds like a fly screen would be okay!?

I guess the only sure way would be to contact the manufacturer and confirm...
Why are you obsessing over fitting a fly screen...You seem to talk yourself into it then out of it....As advised unless you can find the MI,get an RGI take a look.

Why are you obsessing over fitting a fly screen...You seem to talk yourself into it then out of it....As advised unless you can find the MI,get an RGI take a look.

SWMBO doesn’t like the draft in that part of the room and likes the look of the ones with fly screen (which will limit the draft too).

Last edited:
SWMBO doesn’t like the draft in that part of the room and likes the look of the ones with fly screen (which will limit the draft too).
Get an electric fire,have your lass sit somewhere else or buy her some more clothes for christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back