Can a chimney breast be used for external ventilation for gas fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'd like to get a Decorative Fuel Effect fire with a rating over 6.9 kw but I understand that the room will need additional ventilation. Can I use a second, separate, disused chimney breast in the same room for the vent or does it have to go directly outside? The breast currently has a couple of bricks missing so I hoped I could calculate the free air volume needed and install the right vent size. Also, the chimney is clapped with a C Cap for ventilation but I don't know the free air volume of that. Any advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So would an air vent through the floor to a deep cavity which runs under the entire house and is ventilated front and back to the outside be acceptable?

Provided it has been correctly sized and installed, yes. Why don't you want to go directly to outside through a wall?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. There's a huge amount of natural ventilation already - open plan, draughty etc so I don't want to start knocking holes in walls but I am getting a wooden floor installed so could incorporate a vent. So there are no circumstances where a chimney breast vent could be used?

Thanks. So would an air vent through the floor to a deep cavity which runs under the entire house and is ventilated front and back to the outside be acceptable?

It can be ducted from the floor to outside.

If no duct, there must be NO communication under floor to a neighbouring property.The existing vents are probably terracotta, and are nearly always too small. you have to measure the smallest cross sectional area of the holes. A device is available to help with this.

You absolutely cannot use the old chimney as a vent, as you cannot guarantee it will be working in the right direction, as per (?) footprints

Op: your installer will handle all of this and advise you to the particular requirements of your individual case... it is not a one size fits all scenario... there are clear guidelines but these can be satisfied in many different ways according to install site conditions.

Hello. I'd like to get a Decorative Fuel Effect fire with a rating over 6.9 kw but I understand that the room will need additional ventilation. Can I use a second, separate, disused chimney breast in the same room for the vent or does it have to go directly outside? The breast currently has a couple of bricks missing so I hoped I could calculate the free air volume needed and install the right vent size. Also, the chimney is clapped with a C Cap for ventilation but I don't know the free air volume of that. Any advice? Thanks.

What fire are you considering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back