Air vents in garage..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how much vents there should be in garage to comply
wth building regs.

I'm in Scotland if the rules are different, the house is just over a
year old and appears to have 4 vents but I removed one as seen it was
slack and the plasterboard was not cut out, seems a bit pointless?

I went on to check the others and they don't look great but maybe what
they have done is the done thing..not being in the trade or having
experience in such matters I'm at a loss.

Check the photo and see what you think :

http://yfrog.com/83dsc00295dj

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is in the garage, there is a total of 4 air bricks on the wall, if that's what they are called and 4 plastic vents on the inside.

As I said 3 of them are like so in the photograph where the sterling board just seems to have had a few potshots with a drill.

Then there is ope near the boiler that has the plastic vent and air brick on the outside but the plaster has not been cut out

Looks a bit poo. Whats the construction? from inside out starting with the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
I always thought a garage should have 2 vents at high level and 2 at low level.

It looks as though you have a timber frame garage and they should really be sleeved through the frame to the plastic vents on the inside. They are important and designed to stop the build up of carbon monoxide from a car exhaust.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library2/br/brk-04.asp

Looks a bit poo. Whats the construction? from inside out starting with the plasterboard.

I wouldn't like to say as I don't know much about buildings, it's one of those kit houses I believe, doubt that helps much though

I always thought a garage should have 2 vents at high level and 2 at low level.

It looks as though you have a timber frame garage and they should really be sleeved through the frame to the plastic vents on the inside. They are important and designed to stop the build up of carbon monoxide from a car exhaust.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library2/br/brk-04.asp

Is this something I should bring up with then, a few more months and the house will be two years old, we are second owners.

They done some snagging I think but they knew less about houses than me and didn't care as they split and only the female left in house but she knew it was going to be sold.

Can I send the builders a list of issues within a two year period, am I right in thinking that?

Had windows fixed....well catches bent to fit if you like, better than nothing, left messages about other problems but they have never responded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back