airbrick mesh suggestions needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place, but regulations and planning seems a logical place to post.

Well, we have got a rat issue and I have checked the 6 airbricks. (Murder in progress) I have been cutting some mesh from a cheap source, aka splatter shields for cooking (clean ones) to cover these airbricks temporarily until better material is obtained.

However, I'm not really keen on using 1mm hole mesh as it seems rather fine and I feel it will cut air flow down too much. Obviously, I know air is pretty small, but there is a difference, I believe.

I have read in many places that a pencil can be used to indicate mouse ingress through airbricks, presuming that is when it is a thin metal vent looking like an airbrick from a distance, and not actually a proper airbrick with 10-12mm tunnels that a mouse should have a harder time getting down.
Anyway, I have seen a few ready made meshes but for now I "was" planning to use this 1mm square hole material, which is stainless perhaps (as its a splatter shield material for frying)

Bad idea, right? I should get hold of 5mm hole mesh, galvanised and do it properly, or even buy the overpriced ones at £8 each.?

Anyway, off now to go downstairs and see if ratty has chewed more vinyl or god knows what else :(

Sponsored Links
Could you please link one example of a reasonable quality product that incorporates fly mesh that will meet safe venting conditions etc.

Sponsored Links
The Airbricks seem to be about 9" x 3"

Bidrofocaum 0.005% red wax extruded blocks have already been laid (2 of them) inside by council rat man and were eaten in quite succession.

We are waiting for return phone call or visit from him at some point.

Meanwhile I am getting onto this mesh issue and also need to find a reliable way to plug a 40mm hole containing two boiler copper pipes as ratty has been using that.

More traps going down today as well, damn things. However, one vent is actually hinged for some reason so that can have traps put in with whiffy bait and then meshed up again.

For now, I've just spent 5 hours on the rat issue and I am scuttling out of here now for some anti rat relaxation.

:)

Adios.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back