External wall insulation below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have a brick - cavity - block external wall construction in the ground floor going up into a single block wall for the first floor. I intent to apply external wall insulation in both floors eventually to eliminate thermal bridges and improve overall performance.

I have some questions around insulating below the DPC though. My current general thinking and after consulting with Kingspan as well, is described below and in the diagram attached:

- Liquid tanking membrane below the DPC but connecting to it

- Kingspan styrozone H350R below the DPC fixed to the wall all the way to the foundations

- Drainage membrane

- Geotextile membrane

Above DPC will be "standard" EWI, Kingspan K5 boards finished with appropriate mesh and render sitting on a PVC track to avoid cold bridging. I don't need a lot of thickness as I will have the cavity wall beads, so I was going to go for 30mm maximum on the boards.

EWI detail.jpg

My questions:

1. I've read about putting a french drain at the bottom foundation level, wrapped in gravel and geotextile membrane, to drive away ground water. I was also thinking of a french / aco drain at the ground level for similar reasons. Does it make sense to use both??

2. What should take place at the interface of the K5 boards and the below DPC styrozone boards? Should those be butted together? Should there be a gap for some reason?

3. What should happen with the drainage membrane and the geotextile membrane around the styrozone boards? Fold around its top and underneath the K5 boards? Connect and overlap with the DPC? Something else entirely?

4. There are some airbricks below the DPC, any ideas what to do with those?? The floor is block and beam rather than timber, but still. The airbricks have been blocked by soil for years by the previous owner, but I'd like to do things properly.

5. I was planning of insulating the 50mm cavity with platinum beads but should this go all the way to the foundations or stop at the DPC?

I appreciate there may be some challenging questions there (at least they seem so to me!) and I am hoping I will get some good responses in this forum!

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Insulation material cost is such a low factor in ewi I think you'd be better off going for thicker, it would also mean you don't have to worry about condensation if you do CWI.
I also think EPs would be better than k5, less shrinkage and more vapour open.

Many people believe you can just insulate straight over the dpc and continue down to foundations. See what you bco says. There are a couple of LBC approved details on the internet I have attached one for solid walls.
hh-sw-01_3.jpg
I'd dig out your air vents as with ewi it will make that area even more air tight so you might start to get problems.

Hi tomfe, thanks for the response.

I agree with the thickness statement you made, I'll probably go for thicker.

About the airbricks, when you say "dig out your air vents" what do you mean? Leave openings in the EWI? Or "telescope" them above ground level?

Also, where can I find approved details for this sort of thing, e.g. where did you source your image?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back