airbrick venting cavity only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Front bay of my house has airbricks which ventilate the cavity only - the vent does not come inside the house. On the inner skin there are "damp" patches at the base of the wall where the concrete floor meets the brick work - suspiciously near the vents.

Is it worth blocking up the external vents? there is quite a gale coming through them. The front bays are also not insulated to I guess this compounds the problem...

Any advice offered appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cavity vents have been known to cause cold spots on the internal walls and are not used now.

Thanks - thats kind of what i'm thinking.. as its a really localised spot of "damp" thats occuring at really odd intervals.. left house for a weekend, torrential rain all weekend, got back and floor dry as a bone. Hot dry week, floor looks damp. Wet weekend, floor gets wet. Its odd, there is v little pattern to it other than the floor/wall junction can be as low as 8-10c when the room is 18-20c.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When you were away you were not producing the moisture that you would be when at home. If you check the R/H and Temp of the room, any surface below the dew point will attract condensation.
For example when your room temp is 20C and the R/H is 60% the dew point is 12C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back