Cavity wall vents question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1955 build semi, on a full concrete slab, with cavity walls. It originally had double brick air vents, through both leaves, in kitchen, bathroom, and small bedroom, but the inner leaf side of these were bricked up in 1985, during a major refurb, making the place much warmer. The cavities were also checked, and cleaned out, at the same time. Some years later, I had the cavities filled with blown in insulation.

Since then, I have blocked up the outer leaf of those double brick square vents, but there are still a number single brick size vents [1], third row up from the DPC. I'm aware of a draft, which appears between the timber horizontal internal window sill and the wall, of the bay window at the front of the house, during high winds. The house is quite exposed, and the bay faces the prevailing wind. The gap between sill and top of the bay wall is tiny, but the sill is highly polished timber, so I am reluctant to disturb it, to attempt to seal it better to the wall.

My best guess, is that the draft is a result of the wind pressure, blowing in through those single brick cavity vents [1]. There are three such vents along the wind facing wall, one below the bay window, the other two at either side. As a trial, following on from last week's high winds, I cut a bit of alloy sheet to fit, and seal over the bay vent.

My question is, should I be sealing all of these vents up permanently? There are eight of them in total, scattered around the the house, at low level.

Sponsored Links
Vents are there for a reason. They will allow things to dry out if there is water ingress. You can certainly plug them with something - a weak mortar mix for instance. If damp problem shows up, you can unplug them. My 90's cavity is filled with rockwool, which provides some resistance to draft. If there is draft inside the house, then you have holes or cracks somewhere.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I doubt these vents if sealed will have much effect on the cill draught, and that needs to be dealt with regardless.

It's always an unknown when removing existing ventilation. Worst case, would be that the existing vents may be holding the equilibrium so if removed that changes the humidity profile. At the other end of the the scale, the building copes and the occupants don't create too much humidity, so nothing changes.

You could just cover them up and see what happens over a year or two. Or foil them for the same period.

I doubt these vents if sealed will have much effect on the cill draught, and that needs to be dealt with regardless.

I've now sealed up all three, around the bay, I couldn't see any other ways for the wind to enter the cavity, but by this route. Just a bit of alloy sheet, cut to brick face size, and mastic'ed into place.

Simply pressing down on the centre of the timber sill, when the wind was strong, was enough to reduce the draft considerably, and as it lacks any fixings in the centre, if sealing the vents doesn't fix it, I may try doing what I have been trying to avoid - drill and fix my carefully polished sill.

I couldn't see any other ways for the wind to enter the cavity
It will enter from any vent anywhere. Increased air pressure at one location will increase air pressure in the whole cavity. The only way to lessen it is to introduce resistance, such as smaller airways or force the air to turn in direction.

If you have a draft inside the house then you have an air leak into the house. Wait until the coldest temperature, then use a point-able infrared thermometer (no need for the expensive imaging type) to located the coldest area. The leak will be around there.

Last edited:
Even 60 years ago, there was water ingress risk for the cavity.
Maybe, but that's got nothing to do with the OPs issue or why the vents were fitted in the first place.

Back in the day, when there was a coal fire or two and a piano in every front room, airbricks and vents were all the rage and were fitted in rooms and low locations which were not really ideal. Nowadays, with CH, double glazing, insulation and different lifestyles having a gale blow around your ankles is deemed suboptimal and redundant.

Maybe, but that's got nothing to do with the OPs issue or why the vents were fitted in the first place.

Back in the day, when there was a coal fire or two and a piano in every front room, airbricks and vents were all the rage and were fitted in rooms and low locations which were not really ideal. Nowadays, with CH, double glazing, insulation and different lifestyles having a gale blow around your ankles is deemed suboptimal and redundant.
So, those vents vent into the rooms?

No, these vents, only ventilate the cavity. There were originally three double brick height vents, which vented through both inner and outer leaves, but those were blocked up on the inner leaf, when the place was refurbed in the 80's, I have since blocked up the outer of the those.

That just left the 7 single brick sized vents, jist ventilating the cavity, 3 courses up from the DPC, and when the wind blows - a cold draft appearing from up from the cavity, from between the timber internal window sill, and the top of the internal plastered wall. The gap is so narrow, it would be impossible to squirt anything in to seal it..

Our old 1930s house had vents both sides of the cavity, but that was because it had a suspended wooden floor. Before I got cavity wall insulation installed I ducted them through, keeping the ventilation to the floor that would have been lost otherwise, this is standard practice.

My point is that after this, the cavity was left completely unventilated. As is the case with most others that are insulated. I had no issues, don't think most do. It was much warmer after. Ours was left open at the top, hopefully this allowed any moisture to eventually find its way out. I also re-pointed a couple of sides that were quite weather-beaten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back