Cavity wall vents question

...but not above the DPC. :rolleyes:

It seems to me your posts have little point or value. (n)
Well what a lovely person you must be! I guess the username "knows all" is a bit of a giveaway though, no need for any psycho-analysis there, you're wearing your issues on your sleeve.

But I'll reply to your comment as though it was made in a civilised way... what's the relevance of whether above or below? I'm pretty sure the answer is "none", given that air is free to go wherever the heck it wants in a cavity, the DPC doesn't block the cavity.

My point is that many houses routinely have the ventilation source to their cavity blocked off, every time cavity wall insulation is installed in one with a suspended wooden floor. So it's unlikely to be an issue.

I'm surprised that the insulation installer didn't seal them up anyway. We had one high level one, that used to go through to the bathroom but was sealed up long ago on the inside. This got sealed with brown mastic squirted in each hole of the grid, it looked like a chocolate bar after.

Sponsored Links
Well what a lovely person you must be! I guess the username "knows all" is a bit of a giveaway though, no need for any psycho-analysis there, you're wearing your issues on your sleeve.

But I'll reply to your comment as though it was made in a civilised way... what's the relevance of whether above or below? I'm pretty sure the answer is "none", given that air is free to go wherever the heck it wants in a cavity, the DPC doesn't block the cavity.

My point is that many houses routinely have the ventilation source to their cavity blocked off, every time cavity wall insulation is installed in one with a suspended wooden floor. So it's unlikely to be an issue.

I'm surprised that the insulation installer didn't seal them up anyway. We had one high level one, that used to go through to the bathroom but was sealed up long ago on the inside. This got sealed with brown mastic squirted in each hole of the grid, it looked like a chocolate bar after.
Below DPC - floor vents or Baxi back boiler etc.
Above floor - pantry vents or passive air for gas appliances etc.

Still no relevance, just stating the obvious.

They're all blocked on the inside, so are only venting the cavity. They weren't ever ducted, so were always venting the cavity. Harry is concerned that they're needed, I think we're all agreeing that they're probably not but still managing to bicker like 12-year olds about it.

I'm surprised they weren't sealed when the insulation was stuck in, presumably it was fluffy inside them and is now quite mucky.

Sponsored Links
This may be upsetting to you, but I doubt that anyone is going to blindly follow your advice.

The point of discussion is to exchange evidence, not to assert an opinion as though it's a fact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back