Airey house demolish or refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new here but I own an airey house outright as an investment, it's a semi on a very large plot, the deeds have a covenant on multiple dwellings with Local authority, my question is do I refurb or try for planning on two properties, any experience or advice would be most appreciated

Sponsored Links
Which is going to be more profitable? Are you likely to get planning for two units? Your move!

I'd go through the maths, assume you have got permission for two:
Cost to remove covenant
Contributions to Local Authority and/or County for community infrastructure?
Plot value?
Are you to build it?

Also consider the risk factor, everyone involved makes money (including the LA) but you take all the risk.

Find out all the costs involved - the covenant is probably the biggest unknown that requires research.

Sponsored Links
Do you own both semis of the building, or only one? Demolishing one may be difficult and you're less likely to get planning for changing a semi into 2 houses leaving the other semi unaltered.

If you can demolish the building and it's a big enough plot you may be able to get planning for 3 or 4 flats especially if you can play the affordable housing card.

Do you own both semis of the building, or only one? Demolishing one may be difficult and you're less likely to get planning for changing a semi into 2 houses leaving the other semi unaltered.

If you can demolish the building and it's a big enough plot you may be able to get planning for 3 or 4 flats especially if you can play the affordable housing card.

Its in a cul de sac & probably not suitable for flats, i have since found out a housing association own the other semi, is there any mileage in contacting them with a view to redeveloping ? plot size is approx 60x 350 feet. anyone had any dealings with LA on removing covenants (buying them out)

Could you leave the existng house alone and get development behind? Is there space for access?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back