Demolishing end terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We'd like to demolish an 19th century 2 bedroom end terrace(w/cellar) and put in planning for a new detached dwelling on the plot.

Was originally planning to extend the current house but after considering the amount of work/money needed to repair it + the extension cost I may as well just do a new build.

It's not listed, but do the planners need a valid reason for knocking down such a structure?

I understand the neighbours might be slightly concerned, knocking down the terrace next door. Luckily, I own next door as well +++

Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm not considering doing a DIY demolition btw ;)

Sponsored Links
You need planning permission for demolition, and the planners can object for several reasons if the result is worse than what is there now or is contrary to their development plan

I contacted the planning office for some pre application advice and they were unable to give me any for this type of development.

my local council gave me paper work regarding putting in a pre planning application notice. Do yours not have this?

Sponsored Links
my local council gave me paper work regarding putting in a pre planning application notice. Do yours not have this?
Norwich City planners have been diverted from their duties, in order to ensure that the contents of people's wheelie bins are as they should be, to the extent that they a) do not take telephone enquiries any longer, b) will not discuss any pre-planning proposals and c) will not discuss any amendments to existing approvals. The only way to get any answer is to make a full planning application...which invariably will be rejected so as to give a decision within the statutory eight week period.

Just make sure that when you screw up the plans, you don't throw them into the green bin :LOL:

The OP should make a formal complaint to the chief exec as to the conduct of the officers and policy not to give out advice. These idiots are there to assist, and actually 'serve' the public - and they should be reminded of this.

I was told they only offer pre planning advice for home owner extensions and developments of 10 dwellings of more.

Not very helpful

Not helpful and nor are they grammatically correct, either: they should have said ten dwellings or greater :):)

It sounds ironic but all the planning departments I am familiar with (5 or 6) are strictly forbidden from giving advice. They will quote you rules and guide you on procedure but that's it.

In your case you will end up making a full application so, if you are serious, you might as well get on with it. If you want advice go to a planning consultant or a local surveyor that does planning work. Of course expect to pay.

Not helpful and nor are they grammatically correct, either: they should have said ten dwellings or greater :):)

...and yours is wrong too! Should be a comma not a colon, and even if it was a colon 'they' should have been capitalised.

Best you go and bone up on use of colons, Joe. Wrong on both counts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back