Airflow Icon Bathroom Extractor - Any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone has told me that the Airflow Icon extractors are very good. The vent closes when not in use to stop back draft, and can be fitted with various switches including PIR, Humidity, pull cord etc.

Im thinking of getting their 12v version to fit into zone 1 of my 6ft x 6ft bathroom, next to my shower. Has anyone got any experience of them please?

https://www.airflow.com/productdetail_/pg_I101/72683701

ECA79D25-CAE5-4D0E-B323-66B0C3A74B5C-2929-0000022B47650634_zpse71c7b7f.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes fitted one of the 4" standard versions to my utility room.
Although more expensive than most it is easy to fit and works very well for the size of fan it is and it is extremely quiet.
Word of note though - the closed vent can sometimes take a while to open since it works on the air pressure inside the fan.

I've fitted several 100 and 150 Icon fans. Not used the 12v ones though.

Never had a problem, never had a call out. Customers all think they are good looking.

Sponsored Links
No, 240V is allowed if the manufacturer states it is suitable - IPX4 or IPX5 if subject to water jets.

No, 240V is allowed if the manufacturer states it is suitable - IPX4 or IPX5 if subject to water jets.
In practice, do (m)any of them actually state that 240V ones are suitable for use in Zone 1? I would have guessed that they (or their lawyers) would all 'play safe' and say no.

Kind Regards, John

In practice, do (m)any of them actually state that 240V ones are suitable for use in Zone 1? I would have guessed that they (or their lawyers) would all 'play safe' and say no.

Kind Regards, John
Airflow (230v) is IP4 rated and suitable for Zones 2 and 3? only according to the instructions.
They specifically state they are not intended for use in zone 0 or 1.
ELV model is available for zone 1.

Airflow (230v) is IP4 rated and suitable for Zones 2 and 3? only according to the instructions. They specifically state they are not intended for use in zone 0 or 1. ELV model is available for zone 1.
That's more-or-less what I'd expect. As I said, I'd be interested to know whether any manufacturer's of 230V ones are 'brave enough' to say that they are suitable for Zone 1 (let alone Zone 0). I would suspect not.

Kind Regards, John

In my link above, the first line of the description states... iCON eco15S is ideal for toilets, wet zones (1 and higher) en-suites, shower rooms and bathrooms.
It does, indeed - but that's a 12V one, so it's hardly surprising. My interest was in whether or not any manufacturer's of 230V ones are 'brave enough' to say that they're suitable for Zone 1.

Kind Regards, John

Understood. I've edited my post above accordingly to show their 240v models.

I will be fitting it at tbe foot of tbe bath roughly where zone 1 ends and zone 2 begins.

Their 240v Icon 15 & Icon 30 are both IPX4 rated...
https://www.airflow.com/AIR1/AIR1-TEST/pdf/iCON/72591501_iCON15.pdf
So will these be safe in zone 1? I will be getting it fitted on a wall opposite the shower, the shower is at one end of my bath and the extractor will be 6ft away on the opposite wall.
Whether or not they would be safe in Zone 1, I can't tell you. Whether or not you are allowed to use them in Zone 1 depends on whether the manufacture says that they are suitable for that location - and the material to which you have linked is silent on that matter. You could ask them, but the fact that they 'boast' about the fact that the 12V is suitable for Zone 1, but don't mention the issue in relation to the 230V one makes me suspect that they do/will not say that it is suitable for Zone 1!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back