Newly installed Airflow Icon 30S not working??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had my bathroom fitted out this week and we had an Airflow Icon 30S (12v IPX4) fitted above the shower head. However, the electrician is pulling his hair out as despite checking the wiring on several occasions, and there been a green light on the transformer of the icon unit when you flick the wall switch nothing happens.

The wall switch was existing and worked fine on the old extract and the isolator is on.

Any ideas if he's missing the obvious. He's coming back again tomorrow to have a another look at it but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would wager the module (if fitted) in the fan has failed. I would assume he's checked for voltage at the fan and is getting 12vdc?

If he hasn't got voltage at the fan either the transformer or one of his connections is duff.

If there's no module, you've got voltage at the fan and it still doesn't work, the fan's broken.

There's only 4 pieces of the puzzle, wiring - transformer - (module) - fan. It should really have taken him 2 minutes to work out what was wrong

Iggifer,

Thank for the response, no timer modular fitted so not that. He's checked all the connections going in and said they were all reading OK. As the transformer had a green indicator on it, it also seemed to confirm it was receiving power. He was either thinking the transformer itself was faulty or he wondered if a fuse somewhere had gone but couldn't think of an obvious one?

Cheers

Dont know about that unit but some fans have a delay before the motor runs, sometimes to allow the shutters to open, i recall one, i think it was an xpelair model fan taking about twenty seconds to slowly open the shutter before the motor kicked in

Sponsored Links
Is it a pir model and if so he has read the instructions regarding fitting the Pir

Yea the icon has the aperture/iris with the wax motor but I was (perhaps incorrectly) it had been left on long enough to open.

OP, if not, leave it on for a few minutes and see what happens. If nothing, the electrician needs to check for voltage at the fan, and if theres 12vdc then swap the fan. If not, check his connections again and finally change the transformer.

Looking at this video for this model the motor runs well before the shutter opens

Looking at the video the motor runs well before the shutter opens
Yea they do a delay/timer module to stop that happening - with no module I guess it just fires up the opener and fan motor at the same time. Never fitted one with no module at all.

BTW, @eveares will be pleased with you!

All,

Thanks for the responses, definitely no module fitted. I've just left the switch on for 5 minutes just in case as it does have a sticker on it advising "Delayed Shutter Opening" put no joy. I'll talk him through your points above tomorrow whilst trying not to sound like I'm telling him how to suck eggs :). He did suspect a faulty fan but with it being new he wanted to check all his connections etc were working first before blaming the fan.

Thanks

How much current is being drawn when the fans on, both on the 230v side and the 12v side?

My one is 230v though and has no module.

Update....and Iggifer you'd be right.

He re-checked all the power suppliers this morning and then he asked "is it an American Manufacturer as they use grey neutral wiring and not black?" None the wiser myself I pulled out the fitting instruction manual and clearer states 'Grey Neutral', 'Brown Live' 'Black Switched Live'. He pulled out the black and fitted the grey and hey presto the fan kicked in.

As there was no module he said the black wasn't needed so that was taped up.

he asked "is it an American Manufacturer as they use grey neutral wiring and not black?"
USA uses white for neutral, their voltage is half of ours and the frequency is different.

instruction manual and clearer states 'Grey Neutral', 'Brown Live' 'Black Switched Live'
The standard use for UK cables with those colours in.

Any ideas if he's missing the obvious.
He is certainly missing something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back