Airflow Icon extractor fan fuse location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, my first post!

I searched already and couldn't find my answer.

The airflow icon extractor fan in my bathroom stopped working completely. It wont come on by the light and extractor switch.

The instructions say check the 3Amp fuse but I cant find this anywhere? I checked inside the housing of the fan by removing the cover and also unscrewed the isolator switch to have a look behind it but didnt see any fuse.

I think it stopped working because of water damage - when i took off the fan cover housing there is a dome like moulding in it which was full of water and looked like it could contact some metal parts above it.

Anyone know where I can find it?

(fan comes on when you turn the light on, but also there is an isolator switch between light switch and fan. )

Sponsored Links
Proberly means the one you should have fitted, in the supply to the unit.

Oh I didnt fit it. Its a fairly new build flat. I just want to find out if i can fix it myself before getting an electrician!

Not you personally , the instructions reccomend it done.
They assume, there is one and advise you to check that first possibly.

it is most likely just on the lighting mcb, which if the room light works then it is ok.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the light still works in there.

Is there a fuse in the Isolator switch unit? that i missed cuz its hidden.

The isolator is just that - a switch. No fuse in it.
It is very likely the fuse was never fitted.

If the fan is full of water, it is probably ruined so will need to be replaced.
This is a straightforward job, provided you make a note of which colour wires connect into the terminals before removing the old fan.

Before fitting a new one, find out where the water is coming from.

Post a pic of your isolator switch.

Have you tried to see if there is power at the fan.
Has it got a module in there (timer or humidistat). If so it could be the the module is drowned.

I think the water is condensation over the last 6 months. The fan is in the ceiling. Yeah looks like an easy job to replace. Cheers.

If it is condensation, this suggests either the fan is not powerful enough or does not run on for long enough.
Could also be that the ducting is too long for the fan, and/or the duct is not insulated.

Or rain is driving in from the outside. The entry pie should run uphill to prevent this.

Or there isnt a condensation trap. Ideally the duct should have a wee dip in it so the condensation lies there and not in the fan.

Taylor: The Isolator switch is the same as this one: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/65840...rical Supplies-_-Volex 6A Fan Isolator Switch except my one has a red fan icon above the switch.
It has just a timer module, but the water didnt touch that. I will check power to the fan. I dont believe the rain is getting in, but it does run straight up through the roof cuz we're on the top floor.

Flameport: I think your right about it not running long enough - it often gets turned off shortly after a shower.

If anyone else could shed some light, here are 2 pics of the inside cover of the fan (the water build up was inside the dome in the middle) and the inside of the fan itself where the water was touching the middle bit with the 2 screws where you see the copper wire.
4055453362_980668dce5_o.jpg

4054713553_69932664c3_o.jpg

The location of the water suggests to me that the ducting should be inspected. It may be too long and need an inline fan to aid it, or it may not be sloped and moisture may be getting through.
The water may have got to the motor and so this could be a reason for it to not be working. The timer module may also be knackered. You could test the load side of the timer module to see if it s operational, but I would consider changing the fan and finding the cause for the water build up.
I put Icon's in as standard and they are quite reliable IMO, so you need to think about where the water came from and not why the fan isn't working at this stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back