Aiwa JAX-N20 hifi CD playback fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The CD player has been acting up with jittery play-back on tracks in all three CD bays.

I decided to attempt the removal of the CD read head to see if it was clogged with dust but it was quite clean.

Now reassembled the hifi won't switch on.

Are these problems possibly down to a faulty PCB?

Sponsored Links
You don't seem to know enough to be messing with it. Take it to a professional repairer.

One learns by doing.

The downfall for me is that I'm not an electronics expert but there again even an electronics engineer can't visibly see a fault on a PCB.

Actually, some faults are visible:
Bulging electrolytic capacitors.
Components corroded by glue, cat pee etc.
Cracked PC Board.
Semiconductors that have exploded.
Resistors burned out.
"Dry" solder joints.

I agree that it's good to learn by doing, although I wouldn't start with an expensive HiFi system. There's a lot of free/cheap information out there for reading. Examples:-
http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/begin.htm
http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/beginrepair.htm

Sponsored Links
There's voltage from the PSU in to the main PCB via a ribbon cable but none of the ribbon cables from this PCB to other PCBs have a voltage.

It sounds to me as if you are not using the correct equipment for measuring/observing the signals. A multimeter is fine for DC/AC voltages but otherwise useless.

Repairs to anything other than the PSU (or the blatantly obvious) are beyond the ability of anyone who isn't qualified and doesn't have the necessary knowledge and experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back