Alarm - Add delay to one sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Is it possible to add a delay to one of the sensors? When in night mode, we have to come downstairs to turn off the alarm in the morning - and the internal beeper starts going off as soon as we start going downstairs

Would quite like to add a delay on the sensor that gets triggered - so we can get to the panel before it wakes the kids

And yes I guess you'll need which panel I have - but just generally is that sort of thing possible

thanks

Sponsored Links
The 'beeper' will be an entry timer allowing you to reach the keypad to disarm the system. You don't really want to delay or switch this off, as it will result in you entering protected areas and causing a full alarm.

Many systems have configurable volume control, so you may be able to reduce the volume of the entry/exit tones.

Thanks Galaxy - its only in night mode that we need this - and its the motion detector in the downstairs hall I want to delay - prob by 5 seconds would do

The downstairs hall can only be accessed via rooms that also have sensors and the front door - which has a magnetic sensor

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will be able to delay like that.

Also, most systems volume control on the entry/exit speakers is usually universal. A decent installer may be able to add in a resistor in series with the speaker that's only enabled in night mode. All depends on the panel.

hmmm - maybe a remote panel upstairs would be the way to go ?

Wish I'd thought of that when it was installed :(

Depending on the system it may be easy to retrofit a keypad upstairs - especially if there's a sensor in the upstairs landing already.

Also, some systems support RF fobs for setting/unsetting.

Obviously, you can't add a delay to a detector in this way. You could possibly set it to "double knock", so that you need to trigger it twice, but this is not a good idea either (and doesn't meet the current standards). You could also move or mask the PIR so that it doesn't see you until you get to the bottom of the stairs.

Surely what you really want to do is turn down the volume of the entry/exit tone. You may also be able to configure it so that the e/e tone comes from the keypad only and not from the speaker.

@Davey

as your options depend on what alarm system you have, can you post what alarm you have.

Then you may be able to get more specific advice on what you can and can't do.

For example there were versions of the Veritas with certain keypads that gave 10 seconds silent entry in part set, then the remaining entry time was audible.

from memory if the entry time in part set was longer than 20 seconds, the time over the 20 seconds was silent.

You can set the entry tones on each setting on the euro mini , entry and exit on A B C D. This has to be done from engineer programming...

Ah thats great thanks - so we could have it quieter in B mode ?

Do you know if supports a second keypad ? Or even better a remote fob ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back