Alarm insecurity - jamming, replaying and brute-forcing on the Yale HSA6400

So all the more expensive alarms with things like 2-way RF, encryption, frequency hopping, active detector polling - all a scam?

So, put your money where your keyboard is. This is the £29 Ciseco ARF transceiver mentioned in your blog post...
View attachment 101528
Please give me one example of a burglar caught with one of these boards on their person. Just one please. That's all, then we can justifiably be worried about this new tech crime. Just one example...

What's with the strawmen?

I haven't claimed that burglars are using ARFs. Just that they could be used, and it would be my platform of choice. If I were to program these and start selling them on eBay, there would be no requirement at all for the burglar to have any skill.

Where are you getting this stuff about directional antennas from? None of these attacks need directional antennas, neither have I mentioned them in the blog post.

I don't think you really get computers. Linux isn't a barrier to entry, and running applications as root is ordinary when interacting with hardware. Also, as people who tend to want to get work done, we don't customise the desktop of a machine that will be wiped within a few weeks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also, the ARF is not a "breakout board". I suspect electronics and RF is also not a strong point of yours.

Bernard likes to scour technical journals for examples which he likes to think might have some distant relationship to what happens in ordinary domestic houses in ordinary residential streets.
Bang on cue.

Here is today's drone report:
Number observed: zero.

Can anyone guess what yesterday's drone report was?

Sponsored Links
Who are you talking to?

Have you convinced yourself that casting doubt on "drones" and "jammers" as a significant (or even perceptible) source of housebreaking, is related to denying burglary exists?

You must be easily confused.

April 17th 2016 A British Airways Airbus A320-200, registration G-EUYP performing flight BA-727 from Geneva (Switzerland) to London Heathrow,EN (UK)was on final approach to Heathrow's runway 27L when the crew reported a drone had impacted the aircraft. The A320 continued for a safe landing on runway 27L and taxied to the apron.

Still no drones in my area,

No drones around Perth

You really are out of touch http://uav-air.com/locations/drone-courses-perth/

No, there certainly aren't any flying today. I can't see the racecourse from here, even with my 7x50's. And now you're telling me these are unlicensed drones with a two-mile radio range? I thought you said it was a hundred metres. Close to houses with wireless alarms, are they? And operated by burglars?

I take it you didn't read the follow-up news reports which corrected the panic..
http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-04-28/british-airways-plane-strike-did-not-involve-drone/

You clearly said "no sign of pockets of car crime or burglary"...
Yes, that's right. The sort of thing you'd expect if there were, say, people operating jamming devices , for example targeting a car park as described earlier.

If you think you can see some, please point them out.

The crimes found are predominantly not car crimes and not burglary. There were three housebreakings in June, though, in Linlithgow. It's being described as "an outbreak" by police. "The first male is described as white, in his late teens, thin build, around 5ft 4ins tall and had short fair rough hair with a red tinge. He was seen wearing a navy blue hooded top, dark blue denim jeans, white baseball style boots with red round the bottom" if you see him at the electronics club. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he's more an Old Screwdriver type.

Last edited:
You're making that up.

A very poor trick.

Obviously you have convinced yourself that casting doubt on "drones" and "jammers" as a significant (or even perceptible) source of housebreaking, is actually the same as denying burglary exists. Or perhaps you're just pretending to believe it.

Yes, but you aren't trying to do that. You are posting a link to a PDF that doesn't mention burglary, and a link to site showing burglaries in Bedford - nothing to do with drones or jammers.

How could you possibly correlate a pocket of burglaries with jammer usage?

OP, highly interesting article, nevertheless, I doubt if anyone would successfully break into a Dummy Alarm System, that has a flashing LED, so high chances if you can't jam it, or copy codes, you are highly unlikely to gain access to it and will surely abandon your planned endeavor.

Best alarm system would a wired and discrete , a total surprise one, a discrete system that doesn't ring any bells and whistles, you get sms or DD message or a discrete alarm and not one that is hanging outside your home as bright bell box as a deterrent, deterrent to some but to others it is saying I have something valuable so please try and beat me and come in.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back