Alarming a Conservatory Zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is/are the best sensors to use in conservatories, Im not that experienced with alarms, i have fitted a few quite a while ago but never in a conservatory, i would imagine a standard PIR would give quite a few false alarms etc ,

Sponsored Links
Best advice is to use a good quality dual tec sensor. These operate on microwave and passive infra red. Then ideally the sensor should be angled away from the glass and back towards the house. Not always possible in a conservatory but will reduce likelihood of ubnwanted alarms.

good advice, what sort of price should i be looking at, for a quality one. its been a while scince i bought any alarm gear, i think the last alarm i did was my own ten years ago :oops:

can't answer that one :oops:
depends where you go how many you buy or if you smile nicely

but not a lot

just found clicky

Sponsored Links
The ones Screwfix sell aren't great. Have a look on eBay for a Napco C100 dual tech (sometimes listed as a general "Napco Dual Tech) and I guarantee that it will never false alarm if you set it up correctly, even if it is pointing at the glass.

breezer said:
NO!!!!!!!!!!! dont touch a napco.

Care to elaborate? I have seen and fitted these units in some really ****e places, and they simply do not false alarm yet they do not compromise on detection speed either.

napcos are a pain, they have a "self test" facility
at random this self test facility will decide the unit failed the test. it indicates this by a very rapid flashing of the led, no matter what you then do to it it will constantly rapidly flash.

You have probably not seen it yet because it hasnt decided to, they can be ok for years, then all of a sudden they will fail their own self test

Interesting. I service literally hundreds of sites with these detectors fitted (no I don't work for ADT) and have never come across one with the LED flashing. I have replaced a couple of genuinely faulty units, but they were getting on for 15 years old... Had more problems with Honeywell (formerly CK), Rokonet and Texecom. The only other dual tech I would recommend other than Napco are Optex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back