alarms and current ratings for MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just a quick query.
I have a consumer unit with different value MCB's installed and the lowest is 6 Amp. I want to install an mains fed intruder alarm and also mains fed smoke alarms. obviously these do not require no way near the 6 Amps but should i just wire them into these?
If not any suggestions?
CHeers

Sponsored Links
You could give them FCUs with 3A cartridge fuses (you can get lower ratings but may have to order them).

It is usually preferable not to have local switching for alarms as this encourages people to disable them rather than having faults fixed.

Look at the manufacturers instructions which should say what fusing is required for the supply.

so does this mean you could pull wires straight out of the CU and into a FCU without going thru one of the MCB?
I haven't bought the alarms yet so was just wondering on peoples experience of installing them, best practices and all that.
Cheers

No.

No offence intended, but I do not think you are competent to do this work.

Sponsored Links
cleverspark said:
so does this mean you could pull wires straight out of the CU and into a FCU without going thru one of the MCB?

Please explain how you intend to do this !!!! :eek: :eek:

I think im having one of those days.
what i intend to do is either run it on a seperate circuit from one of the spare 6 amp MCB and have a FCU with a 2 A fuse located near the panel or run a spur of my ring circuit to a FCU. I am trying to keep everything on its own circuits tho so the 6 Amp one seems the better choice to me.
I think sooner this day is over the better :p

If you have an MK or Sqare D board, they do 3A breakers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back