Please help - simple MCB question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have diconnected the smoke alarm circuit from my consumer
unit as I wanted to the alarm to stop making nuisance alarms. I removed the red wire that was connected to the top of the MC - leaving it exposed, then replaced the cover of the consumer unit.

Now - what I want to know is - is the red wire I have just removed from terminal at the top of the MCB still live? (i.e. is the red wire now dead or is it fed from the mains supply?)

If it is live, is this safe, even though it's not connected to anything (and obviously still behind the unit cover?)

I'd be very grateful for a reply.

Thanks. "

Sponsored Links
It isn't safe, because now you don't have a smoke alarm...

If you have removed the red wire from the consumer unit, then the circuit 'should' be dead, but it might be cross linked elsewhere so the only way to be sure is to test for voltage.

It was most likely temperature drops as they would occur in the middle of the night. I'm replacing the smoke - but I'm more bothered about the red wire I've just disconnected and whether the circuit is now dead.

Is the red wire fed from the MCB or not?

Sponsored Links
The MCB is 'where the electricity comes from' so if you disconnected the red wire from the MCB, it 'should' be dead - as I mentioned in my last post.

you may get some neutral feedback if you have any discharge lighting or an unballanced 3 phase supply but the likelyhood of either of these in a domestic situation is remote..

Just don't go sticking your tounge on it and please, if for your family's sake stick up another smoke asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back