All RCBO Consumer Unit - Hagar vs. Curve vs. MK

You will not be disappointed with the Eaton range.

I have an EAD12 with Memshield 3 full size RCBO's, the layout of the board is only slightly different, the Neutral bar being on the left and the cpc bar across the top. Neutral bar being on the left means it just connects directly to the isolator, means there is no massive neutral tail taking up space in the CU

Incredibly well made and thought out gear, this is where MK should be aiming. Love how easily the MCB pan comes out.

The only thing I don't like is the Neutral pigtails, much prefer the coiled variety, they also don't seem to orient the cable the same way during manufacture, you can kind of see it in the photo but it's hard to get them to behave themselves

Wish Eaton was a bit more widely stocked - I see them in plenty of houses, but few suppliers

Sponsored Links
Tempted by the eBay auction, but a bit worried about eBaying something like this.
People often say things like that.

But every time anybody buys a house other than a new-build, unless they replace the CU they are buying a second hand one of those too.

You will not be disappointed with the Eaton range.

I have an EAD12 with Memshield 3 full size RCBO's, the layout of the board is only slightly different, the Neutral bar being on the left and the cpc bar across the top. Neutral bar being on the left means it just connects directly to the isolator, means there is no massive neutral tail taking up space in the CU

Good good. It's annoying they only do the RCBO unit in 11 way :( I was considering an EAD12/15, as if I add mains fire alarms, and a bell transformer, the EAD11R will be full.

As an aside, what are people's thoughts on bell transformers? I'm guessing it might be easier to just get an external doorbell transformer. Annoying that it's double width.

http://edmundson-electrical.voltili...=TR-G3/8&brand=MMU&mode=details&catalogType=P

Wish Eaton was a bit more widely stocked - I see them in plenty of houses, but few suppliers

I'm luck I live near a branch of Edmundson, which can get stuff easy enough (or so they claim).

Good good. It's annoying they only do the RCBO unit in 11 way :( I was considering an EAD12/15, as if I add mains fire alarms, and a bell transformer, the EAD11R will be full.

I'm luck I live near a branch of Edmundson, which can get stuff easy enough (or so they claim).

What stops you using an EAD12 or 15 or 19 - just buy it bare and put in whatever devices you need:

http://www.theelectricalwarehouse.c...r-unit-with-switch-disconnector-isolator-100a

Sponsored Links
Nothing at all, other than the fact I wanted the extra room above the RCBOs, and I liked the earth/neutrals being on the left/right rather than obstructing the cables entering the box from the top.

Nothing at all, other than the fact I wanted the extra room above the RCBOs, and I liked the earth/neutrals being on the left/right rather than obstructing the cables entering the box from the top.

Ah - I'd missed the fact that they have an RCBO specific offering with extra height! :oops:

I can't find anyone who stocks it though!

I read in their catalogue they do the EAD12/15/19 with an EH suffix attached for 'Extra Height' (of course this may have ben changed to the CU you posted)

It's arrived. Loads of room. :)

Need to get some ferrules and a ratchet crimp to shorten those neutrals.

Also need to work out what to do with the bell transformer. I guessed it would attach to the bus bar, but it's a separate feed, which is kindof lame. Probably easier just to get an external one :(

You just install a link from the outgoing side of one of your 6A breakers to supply the bell transformer.

If it attached straight to the busbar it would have no protection should it ever go faulty.

bootlace crimps need different pliers, unless someone knows different, from ordinary insulated crimps.

I bought a pair by mistake once :oops:

Are those the new Memshield 3 type RCBOs? Do they have white functional earths? Why is there an RCD as well?

They're memshield 3 compact. Same product codes, just suffixed with a 'c'. No functional earths.

No rcd. Do you mean mcb? It'll be for supplying some rcd sockets outside.

How wrong would it be to put the mcb on the far right, next to the isolator? Normally the ways are ordered by size, but I wonder if I really have to put the mcb right in the middle of all the rcbos. Seems a bit weird.

It's more of a good practice thing to keep the devices in size order so the heavier loads are nearer the supply from the main switch, but there's no regulation which says you must do this.

Having the circuit breaker first and then the RCBOs in size order after it makes sense, and won't affect the overall performance of the installation.

John, I think you're mistaking a DIN rail mounted doorbell transformer for an RCD.

davelx> You've sent me a PM, but have disabled messages from non-friends, so I can't reply. Hopefully you're reading this thread?

still not sure why they put the neutral bar on the right, seems stupid to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back